PDA

View Full Version : [other] Variants of Ubuntu

at2smithjason
July 19th, 2008, 01:04 AM
What are the different variants of Ubuntu. And is there one that you can recommend for a begining Linux user? Also I was looking at the linux.org webpage, and I was wondering if I could use anything that is posted on there with my shiny new OS?

nhandler
July 19th, 2008, 03:31 AM
The variants of Ubuntu are: Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and Gobuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/derivatives). I would suggest trying Ubuntu or Kubuntu if you are new. If you have an older machine, you might consider Xubuntu. As for linux.com, you should be able to use many of the things you find there on all variants of Ubuntu.

Yuki_Nagato
July 19th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, but is much more "prepared" for use. You do not have to install Flash for instance.

http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php

Bachstelze
July 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM
You really shouldn't worry about that too much (unless, as mentioned above, you have an old machine that can't run Gnome or KDE correctly). Look at some screenshots, choose the one that seems the most appealing to you, install it and play around with it for a few days. The come back and tell us whay you liked and what you doidn't like about it, then we can make better suggestions. It's pretty hard to guess which one you will like most ;)

pi.boy.travis
July 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
If you are moving to Ubuntu from Windows, you may like the Kubuntu and the KDE interface it uses. It is usually thought of as the more "complicated" environment, but it is similar to Windows in many ways. Be sure to try all of them, and remember that you can switch between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu after one variant has been installed.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

steveneddy
July 19th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ubuntu is based on and uses the Gnome Desktop Environment.

Kubuntu uses KDE.

Xubuntu uses XFCE.

These are different desktop environments that you use to interface with your PC. Gnome and KDE and what some may call "heavy" and XFCE is a "lighter" (uses less resources) desktop environment.

All look different and various strengths and weaknesses, mainly dependent on individual user qualifications.

pi.boy.travis
July 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Remember that every variant of Ubuntu (except Gobuntu, but it isn't recommended for new users anyway) has a live CD that you can boot into and try out without modifying your existing system.

steveneddy
July 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM
To really confuse you, after you install Ubuntu, you can install any of the other Desktop Environments and boot into them at the log in screen under "Sessions".

I use Fluxbox because it is light and fast.

When surfing or watching a movie, I run Fluxbox to get more performance out of my hardware.

Fluxbox is a really light Window Manager and Desktop Environment that uses the minimum amount of system resources (memory and cpu, etc.) than Gnome and KDE. It works well on older, slower systems, but a modern PC with lots of processor power and memory flies on Fluxbox.

My system specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Gig RAM

Very fast with Flux