PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Partial Updates

deadlySniper
July 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I am having trouble doing updates. It will only do partial updates and also there is something that dpkdg or somthing like that has to be run manually

avtolle
July 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
While your post leads me to guess, I'm guessing from the limited amount of information that you need to run from the CLI
sudo dpkg --configure -a to take care of the "something that dpkdg (sic) or something like that has to be run manually". This may clear up the partial update thing, too; or it may not, if there are updates being held back awaiting updated dependencies which are not yet ready, which will result in those being available for download once the dependencies are ready.

deadlySniper
July 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
ok now it says

A unresolvable problem occurred while intializing the package infomation.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.'

I dont get this message or what to do.

deadlySniper
July 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
any help

deadlySniper
July 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM
how do I unistall virtualbox

Kevbert
July 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Best thing to do is run

sudo apt-get install -f
in terminal to repair any broken packages. From there either the package will have been removed or fully installed.

Elfy
July 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I had that once - this should do the trick as the install -f probably won't work.

sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq virtualbox

deadlySniper
July 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible

This can be caused by:
*A previous upgrade which didnt complete
*Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
*Normal changes of a pre-releease version of Ubuntu

Should I just do the update and the upgrade