PDA

View Full Version : VMware Player-- Should I use it to try out new OSs from Windows?

Redrazor39
July 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I already have openSUSE 11 installed but there's not much space on that partition and plenty on the Windows partition. Is VMware player easy to use? If I play a .vmx file and creat a virtual machine, then is it easy to delete that and get all the HDD space back?

Shazaam
July 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
1. VMware Player is the easiest to use; the Server and the Workstation versions give you more options/configurations. The Workstation version (except for the beta version) costs money.
VMware vms are easy to delete as its only a file not a real physical hard drive. If you want the ultimate in simplicity install VMware Player and use this site to create the basic vmx......
http://www.easyvmx.com/

Redrazor39
July 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Ok, I did that. So, when I want to set up the virtual OS, I just install VMware Player and open the .vmx file in it and the OS will start?

zachtib
July 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ok, I did that. So, when I want to set up the virtual OS, I just install VMware Player and open the .vmx file in it and the OS will start?

you'll need to install it, have your vmx boot from an ISO.

Redrazor39
July 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
oh, so I need the iso or CD/DVD to install a virtual machine?

zachtib
July 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
oh, so I need the iso or CD/DVD to install a virtual machine?

yes, it can't magically pull the OS out of thin air (though maybe we should put that in the next release)

Redrazor39
July 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
That would be really cool. Just have Virtualization software and the images for it are fully installed OSs just compressed and formatted into a single file that the Player can uncompress, run, and boot as a full OS. That's what I thought VMware Player was.

zachtib
July 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
That would be really cool. Just have Virtualization software and the images for it are fully installed OSs just compressed and formatted into a single file that the Player can uncompress, run, and boot as a full OS. That's what I thought VMware Player was.

no, the idea of player is to run downloaded VMs, and due to licensing reasons, we obviously couldn't distribute Windows images with it.

Redrazor39
July 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I hate licensing restrictions :(

Shazaam
July 19th, 2008, 03:41 AM
If you search the VMware site you can find pre-built vms (they call them "appliances") for a lot of different applications.
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/