PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] so can i assume?

ronin411484
July 16th, 2008, 03:27 AM
well per my previous thread, i have a hunch my disk might be bad im not sure. i downloaded the disk hoping to boot from it holding c. however that didnt really go according to plan. it semed to hang the system as soon as i did that. then after words i decided to try and boot from the disk in my laptop. this time it didnt hang the system. but instead, it showed a folder icon on the screen with a question mark in the middle. then after about 30 seconds or more, it booted into OSX without pausing to linux.

pertinent information:
tried to run live cd 6.06 dapper drake. xubuntu
tried installing on power mac g4 450 mhz

relatively new to the world of linux...
really would love to start playing with linux

mkvnmtr
July 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Have you tried booting by using the option key. When I was booting on the Mac system I would restart holding down the option key until I saw two icons and then would chose the one I wanted to boot. If that dosen't work maybe burn another disk even slower. When I burn a Ubuntu disk at 2x it only takes about 9 minutes. Maybe use a different brand of disk. Sometimes a disk just doesn't want to boot. Good luck.

ronin411484
July 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
yea i did that last night befor i passed out. on the laptop i held down option and it seemed that it only gave me the hard drive to boot, so i would assume the disk is bad?

mkvnmtr
July 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I would guess the disk is the problem. But I must say give it some time to bring up the icon. It was the same with Disk Warrior and Drive Genius. I had to hold down the option key for a couple of minutes. I used my Mac for about 5 years before I got the courage to try Ubuntu but its worth the trouble to dual boot. I go to OSX much less now. It is a great but it seems like Ubuntu will do more. It is also lots of fun to mess up the system and reinstall. I have ben using about four weeks and have reinstalled three times trying to upgrade to 8.04.1 I think I will ask for help in a few days. Good luck and keep trying it will be worth it.

cyberdork33
July 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
In the future, you should reply to your previous thread so that others know what you are referring to. At least link to it if you think this problem is unrelated enough.