PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Save updates to a thumbdrive?

aqk
July 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have a PC with Ubunto 8.04 on it, and currently there are about 130+ Meg of updates ready to download.
Unfortunately there is only dial-up available in my locale.
I already seem to have downloaded 25+ meg of updates, and it is getting tiresome.
Is there any way I can go to a friend's house, where hispeed is available, and download the updates there onto a flashdrive?

Oh yes.. he only has Windows (for now)....

Thanx

Bablefish
July 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
One idea is bring your computer to your friend's house and use his connection (with his permission of course).

aqk
July 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
One idea is bring your computer to your friend's house and use his connection (with his permission of course).

Yes I had thought of that- he has wireless; all I have to do is drive into his driveway and supply the laptop with his WEP, but-
1. Ubuntu doesn't seem to like my laptop's Atheros wi-fi card.( I admit I havent tried it with 8.04 yet)
- and -

2. THE TRUTH: I actually have three PCs at home- 2 desktops and a laptop, two of which have Ubuntu, which I may install on the 3rd also. If only the Update thing were easier.
(Dont worry- I have a 3COM dialup router on my LAN!)

Isn't there (or shouldn't there be) some sort of Ubuntu Multiple PC support, similar to MS' download-SP3 facility or MS' IEAK?

Would be very handy!

aqk
July 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I have three PCs, networked, all running Ubuntu 8.04.

How can I download updates ONCE, and then apply them to all three PCs?

Note: I only have dialup at this location.

Potatoj316
July 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Yes you can download the files only once and use them for all your computers but it might be a pain. You could use wget in the terminal (i dont really know how to) to retrieve the necessary packages from the repositories (you might want to write a shell script first) and save them on your computer and then transfer with a UFD or CD or external HD or however. To get the files you could connect to his router using a cable, its faster and will probably work.