PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox

sefs
July 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi all, have you ever heard of Dropbox (getdropbox.com)? Would you use it? Is it trustworthy?

fatality_uk
July 15th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Obviously, I wouldn't store anything with personal details, name address, bank etc. Usually these sites have a nice clause seomthing along the lines of:

"We have the right to pull the service anytime we want. Any data that is on our servers, could be lost, sorry!"

Mazza558
July 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I use it - it's very fast indeed, and the developers seem friendly enough.

kool_kat_os
July 15th, 2008, 02:01 AM
what is it?

sefs
July 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Kool kat think of it as an online thumbdrive.

Vitamin-Carrot
July 15th, 2008, 05:57 AM
???

Buy a USB flash drive

red_Marvin
July 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Encrypt your data and you should be fine.

chopeen
August 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I use it - it's very fast indeed, and the developers seem friendly enough.

Is there any way to make their software work with Ubuntu?

Mazza558
August 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Is there any way to make their software work with Ubuntu?

They're very near to releasing a Linux version (gnome/nautilus only for now) in the form of a deb file. Check the forums for more info.

stimpack
August 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I use drop.io which does not have the pretty sweet syncing of dropbox, however I like to encrypt things first before dumping them online.

billgoldberg
August 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I would never, I mean never store data online.

--

I have harddrives enough laying around.

asdir
September 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Encrypt your data and you should be fine.

Would you mind telling me how I encrypt data (preferably only the Dropbox folder) so that it will still be encrypted once it is uploaded to the Dropbox server?

Afaik it is only possible to encrypt whole disks, but even the data on there would be deciphered once files are copied (uploaded) to somewhere else. But then again, I am not an expert in these matters...

meho_r
September 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Maybe with this (http://www.truecrypt.org/) ;)

Canis familiaris
September 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm using it. :)

Biochem
September 16th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Would you mind telling me how I encrypt data (preferably only the Dropbox folder) so that it will still be encrypted once it is uploaded to the Dropbox server?

Afaik it is only possible to encrypt whole disks, but even the data on there would be deciphered once files are copied (uploaded) to somewhere else. But then again, I am not an expert in these matters...

Have a look at encfs. It encrypts the files in a folder, since each files are individually encrypted you won't have to send your whole truecrypt volume each time. Just sync the encrypted folder not the clear mounted one. It won't work with windows though

meho_r
October 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Have a look at encfs. It encrypts the files in a folder, since each files are individually encrypted you won't have to send your whole truecrypt volume each time. Just sync the encrypted folder not the clear mounted one. It won't work with windows though

After using this method for some time now, just want to say thank you :D More convenient that TrueCrypt indeed.

UbuWu
October 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
It is really nice, but don't use it on your laptop, it will drain the battery. according to powertop it causes wakeups around 30 times per second.

borobudur
December 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Is there something like dropbox but for your local intra net which works with nautilus?

Prefix100
December 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It is a great tool, I use it for submitting work to college, image hosting, and sharing files with friends.

billgoldberg
December 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Is there something like dropbox but for your local intra net which works with nautilus?

An ftp server.

And there you have your storage, available in the entire world from any pc.

borobudur
December 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM
An ftp server.
And there you have your storage, available in the entire world from any pc.
But I'm asking for my own LAN!
I'd like to have the same as Dropbox but with my own storage server (client is open source but the Dropbox server is not). Advantage:
- no bandwidth problems
- nobody else sees my files
- no encryption necessary

I like the integration of Dropbox into Nautilus and it's great to have on all machines the same synchronized data.

Biochem
December 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM
You mean like nfs or samba but where you can unplug your laptop and still access your data?

if so have a look a unison (I use it over samba, but that's because i'm not an admin on the other end to install it)

borobudur
December 29th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You mean like nfs or samba but where you can unplug your laptop and still access your data?

if so have a look a unison (I use it over samba, but that's because i'm not an admin on the other end to install it)
With NFS and Samba you have just a mount. With Unison you have to do the synchronization yourself from time to time.

I had a look at the iFolder (ifolder.com (http://www.ifolder.com/)). It looks like it's the same idea like DropBox, and you could have it even peer to peer.
Has anyone an idea why nobody continues with this project? That's a wonderful thing for your LAN.

Have a look at this article in linuxjournal:
linuxjournal.com/content/synchronizing-your-life (http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/synchronizing-your-life)