PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to make Ubuntu Desktop Theme like MAC OSX?

macnyak
July 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
i've seen a video on youtube,.. a PC with Ubuntu OS but MAC OSX theme.. HOw is it done?

please tell me the step by step procedures.. thanks

o.besner
July 14th, 2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac

Tadam ! What you're looking for is called "Mac4lin", and that's the step-by-step procedure to doing it.

However, I think the theme "Glossy P" is nicer than the Mac4lin GTk2 theme. Less Macish though. Google "Glossy P" and you'll find it.

DJ_Peng
July 14th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Actually we have the developer of the Mac4Lin Transformation Pack (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin) right here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=555373) on the Ubuntu Forums. And if you think Mac4Lin 0.4 looks sweet just wait until version 1.0 comes out, hopefully in a few months or so. It will have a script that handles most of the installation chores, but it will also have documentation (now being updated) for those who prefer to install things the old fashioned way.

macnyak
July 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Actually we have the developer of the Mac4Lin Transformation Pack (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin) right here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=555373) on the Ubuntu Forums. And if you think Mac4Lin 0.4 looks sweet just wait until version 1.0 comes out, hopefully in a few months or so. It will have a script that handles most of the installation chores, but it will also have documentation (now being updated) for those who prefer to install things the old fashioned way.

will it work for 64bit Ubuntu? or its just for the 32bit version of ubuntu?

If I have enough money i will build a new pc and i will use 64bit version of ubuntu 8.04 and i hope that the macOS theme will work

please help...

macnyak
July 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM

will MACOSX theme or MACLin and Glossy P theme can be installed on KUBUNTU?

do i have to go on the same procedure like the steps on installing it in a Ubuntu PC?

DJ_Peng
July 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
will it work for 64bit Ubuntu? or its just for the 32bit version of ubuntu?

If I have enough money i will build a new pc and i will use 64bit version of ubuntu 8.04 and i hope that the macOS theme will work

please help...
I think it's just 32bit, but you can check in the Mac4Lin thread that I had linked to.

will MACOSX theme or MACLin and Glossy P theme can be installed on KUBUNTU?

do i have to go on the same procedure like the steps on installing it in a Ubuntu PC?
Funny you should ask that. infra_red_dude, the Mac4Lin developer, put out a call to KDE and Xfce devs to help make Mac4Lin 1.0 available across all versions of *Ubuntu. The Xfce guys have been helpful, but the KDE guys have been so silent that infra told me that the icon I had made to note KDE sections of the updated docs won't be used since he's gotten no info on how to make Mac4Lin available with KDE systems. It's a shame, too, because Mac4Lin has proven to be pretty popular.

spencercarran
July 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Some of that seems really silly to me. I mean, if you really prefer the "look and feel" of Apple themes, sure, and the dock is pretty cool and also useful. But putting Apple logos all over the place, re-doing icons and app names to mimic OSX, and all the rest? What purpose does it serve? Are you ashamed of using Linux and want people to think you're running MacOSX? Why Apple logos everywhere? May as well just stick with OSX if you're going to put so much effort into making Ubuntu exactly like it, since in OSX that stuff's the default and you don't have to do anything for it.

js_fr
July 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I think it's just 32bit, but you can check in the Mac4Lin thread that I had linked to.

I didn't try everyting, just Metacity, Emerald, Icon, AWN and VLC themes which worked fine with 64bit. All this is just theme / UI stuff, so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work on 64bit.

macnyak
July 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Some of that seems really silly to me. I mean, if you really prefer the "look and feel" of Apple themes, sure, and the dock is pretty cool and also useful. But putting Apple logos all over the place, re-doing icons and app names to mimic OSX, and all the rest? What purpose does it serve? Are you ashamed of using Linux and want people to think you're running MacOSX? Why Apple logos everywhere? May as well just stick with OSX if you're going to put so much effort into making Ubuntu exactly like it, since in OSX that stuff's the default and you don't have to do anything for it.

Its not that i am ashamed of using Ubuntu, I love it,.. thats why I am saving money to build a new PC to RUN 64bit Ubuntu in it,. I like to use the Compiz Fusion,.. Ubuntu, lets people use a free OS and a bunch of free software THAT'S a BIG DEAL,...but its just nice to have a different look of the appearance of the desktop,.. and customizations.

people have different preferences,.. different choices and have free will

I dont want to argue,.. im just a newbie,..

spencercarran
July 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Its not that i am ashamed of using Ubuntu, I love it,.. thats why I am saving money to build a new PC to RUN 64bit Ubuntu in it,. I like to use the Compiz Fusion,.. Ubuntu, lets people use a free OS and a bunch of free software THAT'S a BIG DEAL,...but its just nice to have a different look of the appearance of the desktop,.. and customizations.

people have different preferences,.. different choices and have free will

I dont want to argue,.. im just a newbie,..

True, I know it's just personal preference if someone would rather have a different appearance to the desktop. What confuses me, though, is putting Apple logos everywhere, renaming apps after their OSX equivalents, calling it Leopard, etc. That just seems really pointless to me. I mean, I can see why someone would want the dock, or the OS X-like themes. But why have Apple logos all over the place when you're not even using Apple software?

macnyak
July 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
True, I know it's just personal preference if someone would rather have a different appearance to the desktop. What confuses me, though, is putting Apple logos everywhere, renaming apps after their OSX equivalents, calling it Leopard, etc. That just seems really pointless to me. I mean, I can see why someone would want the dock, or the OS X-like themes. But why have Apple logos all over the place when you're not even using Apple software?

Maybe your right my friend, You have a very good reason about it. But i think thats the essence of Copying. If someone wants to Copy something, Copying into Perfection,.. it tends to replicate the original in all angels look like and feel like. So that no one can tell the difference.

But we Ubuntu, Linux users must have a unique look and perception about everything although I think The Linux People and OS makers want an OS that will suite their tastes and needs,.. sort of customization.

Thanks to all good people all earth...

DJ_Peng
July 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
Maybe your right my friend, You have a very good reason about it. But i think thats the essence of Copying. If someone wants to Copy something, Copying into Perfection,.. it tends to replicate the original in all angels look like and feel like. So that no one can tell the difference.
That's one of the great parts about Linux and how Mac4Lin is currently shipped. If you only want some of it but not all of it (such as the dock, etc., but not the OSX-look icons and splashes) you can manually install just the parts you like. And you can change the Theme to use segments of other themes you can can truly have your desktop the way you want it. Mac4Lin 1.0 will have a script to handle the installation (which I haven't had a chance to test yet) but you can always use the old fashioned manual way to install it if you want.

alchamech
October 9th, 2009, 12:36 AM
better late than never thats what i say. Mac4Lin 1.0 works great, thats what i used for my beast!!
ALCHAMECH

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 9th, 2009, 04:41 AM
i took the time to do it manually today, on two accounts.... only now, do I see that script.. BAH!!

BenypX
October 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I NEED HELP!
ok so i installed the mac4lin on my computer. the 1.0 version. I'm a NOOB when it comes to linux. Only had it installed for abuot 1 week and I installed the thing, but i dont get that taskbar at the bottom to look like the MAC ones. Also, how else could i customize it? people have nice pictures that make it look really good, i have no clue. please someone help. thanks

alex.rayu
October 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Taskbar - you should install Avant Window Navigator

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I set up an account that I named "test" just to see what the script did.... and it turns out that there's still a lot to do manually. Basically, I found that following the steps here: http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac, and then running the script to swap the location of your window control buttons (if you even want to) worked the best for me. Also, since I've always been a windows user, and not a mac user, I'm kind of wishing that I would've left that alone.... make it kind of a crossover, so that it's still obvious that it's a homage rather than OSX. BTW, here's a screenshot of my finished product:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/ST3ALTHPSYCH0/ubuntuOSXfinal.png

BTW, if you are running Jaunty(9.04), if or when you put a "logout" applet on AVN, it will actually be a shutdown applet. To get a logout button, create a launcher for this command "gnome-session-save --logout-dialog". Don't overlook the space between "save" and the double dash (like I did on my wife's account yesterday), and if you want to use the same icon I did (the green running man) it's found in /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/actions/gnome-logout.svg otherwise, I'd say to use the filebrowser to choose and then change it in AWN, b/c I haven't found a way to view thumbs in the AWN icon chooser, but I could be a little slow :)

BenypX
October 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
im a complete noob and its my first time using Ubuntu, so I dont know how to install these things manually. When i go to sytem-> preference -> appearence, there is no leopard thing. Theres only a custom one and i don't know how to install anythign else. Also, my firefox browser doesn't let me go back or refresh page or anything.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Follow the link in my last reply. Take it one step at a time and you'll be ok. If you've d/l the mac4lin pack you'll need to extract it to a folder. After you do that, you'll need to click the "install" button in the appearance dialog to get the themes available for use. Also, for the other n00bs out there, I found a command today while doing something else that would've been immensely helpful during this project. Bring up the command dialog (alt+f2) and type in the command “gksudo nautilus“. BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO IN THE WINDOW THAT APPEARS!!!! I can't stress that enough, because in that one window you are the super user "root". The reason that I recommend this, though, is because there are several steps that require you move move files into the /usr directory in your main file system drive, and that access is extremely restricted by default, and for good reason. I, however, didn't know this little tidbit, and had to resort to activating my root account and switching users to perform these steps.

BenypX
October 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
When i try installing it, it says i can not move directory over directory? what does that mean?

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Just so that others can understand too (I covered this in my PM) for part of what that installer needs to do , you have to be the user "root". I had to google to figure out how to use that account, and again, be careful when (if) logged in as root.... you can cause damage that requires reinstallation of the OS. As long as you follow the directions to a "t" you'll be ok though. Best of luck.

isbiyanto
May 11th, 2010, 07:01 PM

But we Ubuntu, Linux users must have a unique look and perception about everything although I think The Linux People and OS makers want an OS that will suite their tastes and needs,.. sort of customization.

Thanks to all good people all earth...

Thanks to all