PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or Xubuntu for semi-old laptop?

keiichidono
July 14th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I got one of my friends excited about Linux and she was amazed when i showed her Compiz-Fusion but we both decided it would be unnecessary and it would be best to leave it off and just enjoy Linux. We tried out a couple of LiveCD's yesterday and she like Ubuntu and Xubuntu, Xubuntu runs faster on her computer but Ubuntu is more mainstream, can you guys tell me what would be the best choice? She said she doesn't need a speed demon but it would be nice as long as she wasn't sacrificing any ease of use and stuff.

Specs:
Dell Inspiron B130
1.7Ghz Processor
512MB RAM
Intel 915GM (i'm pretty sure)
60GB HDD

phrostbyte
July 14th, 2008, 01:41 AM
512MB and 1.7GHz is more then enough to run Ubuntu well. You can get Compiz working too. So it's really up to if you like XFCE or Gnome better.

barbedsaber
July 14th, 2008, 01:47 AM
512MB and 1.7GHz is more then enough to run Ubuntu well. You can get Compiz working too. So it's really up to if you like XFCE or Gnome better.

by Ubuntu standards, that is high spec. you can run anything you want on that.

Ozor Mox
July 14th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Yep I have a laptop with pretty much identical specs and it runs Ubuntu perfectly, without Compiz-Fusion enabled.

bikeboy
July 14th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Agree with the others here. I have an old laptop with PIII 900 and 384mb that would probably be better suited to Xubuntu, but have found Ubuntu to be perfectly suitable over the years.

Remember, LiveCDs will always be slower than HDD installs so it's hard to get a true feel for how it runs when only using a CD.

keiichidono
July 14th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Yeah, i told her that the LiveCD's would be slow (Ubuntu was freezing up on us). Since she doesn't need the extra speed Xubuntu provides it would be better to go with Ubuntu right? We were thinking about trying them both out but it seems Ubuntu will be just fine.

kk0sse54
July 14th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I used to run Xubuntu on an older computer with 256 MB RAM with compiz and all it's good effects enabled and it still ran like a charm.

PHATSPEED7x
July 14th, 2008, 02:31 AM
It should run ubuntu fine. I got xubuntu on a old gateway with pentium III 900mhz, 128mb of ram, and a 10GB HD. Had to use the Alt boot disc, but it runs fine. My sony works so quick with ubuntu. 2.8 Ghz pentium 4, 1GB of ram, 80GB HD. I use my gf's acer with 120GB of HD, 1GB of ram, and 2.0 Ghz processer, and it's really slow compaired to my computer. I'll upgrade her to two GB of ram and it should be better.

MDSmith2
July 14th, 2008, 02:33 AM
That should be able to run Ubuntu fine.
My computer can run Ubuntu well too but I prefer Xubuntu because its a little less of a pain on my RAM and it looks good too

keiichidono
July 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Alright, i think i'll go with Ubuntu. Thanks guys. :D

LookTJ
July 14th, 2008, 03:09 AM
It all really depends on the model and make of the CPU in this case. The rest of the specs are perfect. If you have some Pentium processor, it should just fine with that processor speed. I don't think a Celeron can handle Ubuntu.