PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed to check for installed and available applications

faim2600
July 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM
First of all, I do not have internet working on my laptop right now, which is using Ubuntu, but I'm currently on a windows xp desktop. Point is, I cant copy and paste.

I'm running gutsy (I believe thats relevant)

I get this message in Add/Remove applications.

This is a major failure of your software management system ... 'sudo apt-get install -f'.

I checked for broken packages in synaptic, as instructed, I fixed them.

When I tried -get update, it said "Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/gutsy-...Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com' Reading package lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, the have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

When i tried -get install -f', it just says to install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre.... when i say to continue it says the package cannot be authenticated, E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

annda
July 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
it looks like you are trying to install software from the internet repositories without net access. you need a working connection first.

faim2600
July 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
oh wowwwwwwww i feel incredibly stupid...

thank you so much...

i'll see what happens

OttifantSir
July 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I cannot tell whether you were being sarcastic or not in your last post, but no network connection usually mean you have altered SOME, but not all, of the settings for network

Run this command in the terminal: 'ifconfig' and post the output here

How are you connecting to the net? Dial-up, DSL, satelite, cable, LAN, wireless, etc...
Do you have a router? Is it configured properly? Which is it?
Do these commands in a terminal:
'gedit /etc/hosts'
'gedit /etc/hosts.deny'
'gedit /etc/hosts.allow'
'gedit /etc/network/interfaces'
and post the contents here (if you feel comfortable sharing that info)