PDA

View Full Version : How good are Sony Vaio's?

T2manner
July 13th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I was going to get a Thinkpad, but since this is my first laptop, I wanted to get something cheaper to start out with.
Plus the Vaio has wayy better specs than the Thinkpad.

OZFive
July 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I like mine well enough. I got it on discount for $550 at Office Depot. It has run without issue at all. But I know a lot of people do not like them for some reason.

So one for reccomended.

mips
July 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Bad quality, not always linux friendly and most importantly crap after sales support form sony. Lets not even get into sonys ethics.

71CH
July 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Go for the Thinkpad. You won't regret it.

PHATSPEED7x
July 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I have a sony vaio K25. My sister gave it to me after she bought a mac. I like it alot. Upgraded the RAM, and put ubuntu on it. Computer runs very fast, havn't had any issues with it. Other than it getting hot sometimes I really don't have any complaints.

kerry_s
July 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
get the thinkpad, sony is full of proprietary crap, which sometimes requires special drivers. i have a really old model vaio pcg-f430, which was given to me.

T2manner
July 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
get the thinkpad, sony is full of proprietary crap, which sometimes requires special drivers. i have a really old model vaio pcg-f430, which was given to me.

Well, my processor is intel, my wireless is intel, my graphics is intel.
I think I'll be fine.

th3james
July 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I've got a dual core intel sony, it's crap tbh, just feels to consumer grade and flimsy, plus acpi is broken totally in hardy. also, they tend to be overpriced. Also, i work as a technician part time, and we get lots back, especially with screens (depends on models though..)
Thinkpads rock, get those

smbm
July 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM
My mate Laser got a Vaio with all Intel internals.

He still has loads of functions that don't work under Linux.

Get the Thinkpad, I have one and everything works.

owoito
July 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM
If i were you, i would go for Thinkpad. I have owned Sony before, and all i can tell you is that Sony is flashy, but gets easily broken.....especially the hardware.
I switched to Thinkpad, and i must tell you that it's rock solid and will not fail you. I was using it to run ubuntu via wubi, but last night, i decided to install ubuntu it on a it's own partion devoid of windows, and everything worked okay especially the wireless network. I am using it to reply this message. I am planning to change all my laptops and desktops to Thinkpad......it rocks!.

kerry_s
July 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well, my processor is intel, my wireless is intel, my graphics is intel.
I think I'll be fine.

it doesn't matter, it's the connections between them, you can never get full function. i noticed in windows with the drivers everything is 2x faster than in linux. my systems old there's been plenty of time to catch up driver wise in linux, but in linux you have to really work at it, or just find another way to get the same function. with win2k this old 450mhz 256mb ram laptop jams, everything works and is very fast.

Sealbhach
July 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
My Vaio's working okay in Ubuntu.

I had some problems initially:

1. No sound to the headphones (fixed by help from forums)

2. Webcam doesn't work - it's a Ricoh camera and they're not willing to help Linux.

3. My vaio has a Blu-Ray player - this does not work.

Other than that, it's all lovely.

Jim!
July 14th, 2008, 03:12 AM
My Sony VAIO runs Ubuntu 8.04 perfectly.

Sealbhach
July 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM
My Sony VAIO runs Ubuntu 8.04 perfectly.

Which one is it?

nothingspecial
July 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Only laptop (out of 7) i`ve installed ubuntu on and everything (except for the webcam) worked. Must admit I`ve never plugged headphones in.

Model PCG-8Y3M

T2manner
July 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
:]
Well I ordered the Sony anyway.

Bungo Pony
July 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
:]
Well I ordered the Sony anyway.

Noooooooooo!!!!

Another prop for the Thinkpad. I don't trust anything that came from Sony after 1990.

Northsider
July 15th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I had (still have, never use) a Vaio laptop. Terrible, slow, overheated, not linux friendly. I would not recommend sony to anyone.

T2manner
July 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
haha
I don't know what you all are talking about.
All my drivers work in Linux.
I booted the CD and there were NO restricted or proprietary drivers. It all worked out of the box. And it's very fast.
This is a very nice laptop.

TwiceOver
July 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Just my opinion... I had a Vaio on the bench the other day and other than looking nice, the build quality felt a little lacking.

T2manner
July 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Well I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Everything works smooth.

Redrazor39
July 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Great computers, but the Linux support, while Linux works, is incomplete. Extra cool features and stuff usually don't work.

D-EJ915
July 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The S series in all its incarnations and T series in all of its are 2 of the best laptops models ever made. The other ones are alright, my dad has a CR which is really solid.

Ioky
July 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Sony's laptop works ok, but seriously it really depend on the model. some model they have is like very bad quality. Like the one my sis get, are poor quality and short battery life. and she just get it last year, and is it not as good as the second hand old Toshiba portege M100. Which is even close as new as the Vaio. And all of time, they aren't Linux friendly. But to bad fair, I don't think the Thinkpad, lenovo product are as good as the one IBM once have done. I don't say it because it is IBM and I fooly think it much be better, I go to a school which half of the student are using thinkpad, (because the school give it to them.) and when I compare the quality with the old thinkpad(IBM) and the new thinkpad(lenovo) There is a few quality difference. I mean, everything look the same in the surface. but when you dig a little bit deeper you can see the difference. For example. There is a metal lay in laptop case, in the IBM thinkpad, but that lay is gone in the new levono thinkpad. Of course, the newer one have a faster CPU, and more RAMs. but in term of It is what it is, and don't mean to be some others. the IBM thinkpad are better in quality.

However, I would recommended you to get thinkpad over Vaio. Try to get a good quality Laptop, whether then get a bleeding cut laptop.

Sealbhach
July 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
haha
I don't know what you all are talking about.
All my drivers work in Linux.
I booted the CD and there were NO restricted or proprietary drivers. It all worked out of the box. And it's very fast.
This is a very nice laptop.

Does the webcam work?

Can you adjust the brightness?

Can you put it in sleep and hibernate mode?

T2manner
July 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
There's no webcam.
I can't find out how to adjust the brightness, and I haven't tried sleep or hibernate yet.

mips
July 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
There is a few quality difference. I mean, everything look the same in the surface. but when you dig a little bit deeper you can see the difference. For example. There is a metal lay in laptop case, in the IBM thinkpad, but that lay is gone in the new levono thinkpad.

What is a "metal lay"?

Lenovo thinkpads have a magnesium alloy rollcage in the bottom and lcd part of the the notebook. The cases are now carbon fibre reinforced so I dunno what you are talking about. Keep in mind Lenovo also make their own cheaper laptops which will not share these features.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=19C791A03AF24034A0011B825513BCED&tab=2#tab-container-5