PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto login?

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Hello ,I hope someone can help me with my problem. It isn't to easy so beginners to Ubuntu save your time and don't read this.

The story so far: I have a certain download cap which is 12gb. Which i can only download 1 to 3 Game demos a month before i hit dial up. So i have to stay up to midnight ( When my off cap starts ) start the download Wake up and stop it before the Off cap ends. This is frustrating and tiering.

So i had an idea! I downloaded Deluge and set it to download my torrents In my off cap and no other time. This was all good but the bad part was my laptop was constantly on Decreasing it's life span and Eating up the power bill. So i changed my BIOS to automatically start my laptop at 11.59 PM. And it did start at 11.59 PM. Only to be Foiled by the login screen. Is there a way to make it auto login at that certain time? I would like to keep the password security on but if i can't i won't. I have also forgot how to start a program on startup ( deluge ).

If we can do the above then how do I: Shutdown my computer automatically.

Thank you VERY much in advance.

Jim!
July 13th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Hello ,I hope someone can help me with my problem. It isn't to easy so beginners to Ubuntu save your time and don't read this.

The story so far: I have a certain download cap which is 12gb. Which i can only download 1 to 3 Game demos a month before i hit dial up. So i have to stay up to midnight ( When my off cap starts ) start the download Wake up and stop it before the Off cap ends. This is frustrating and tiering.

So i had an idea! I downloaded Deluge and set it to download my torrents In my off cap and no other time. This was all good but the bad part was my laptop was constantly on Decreasing it's life span and Eating up the power bill. So i changed my BIOS to automatically start my laptop at 11.59 PM. And it did start at 11.59 PM. Only to be Foiled by the login screen. Is there a way to make it auto login at that certain time? I would like to keep the password security on but if i can't i won't. I have also forgot how to start a program on startup ( deluge ).

If we can do the above then how do I: Shutdown my computer automatically.

Thank you VERY much in advance.

Another Australian, Sorry I don't know how to solve your problem - But can you tell me what ISP you use because I'm also on a 12GB Cap (Bigpond) but I don't have off-peak:( Australia really is a third world Country when it comes to Internet:(

aktiwers
July 13th, 2008, 05:45 AM
System = Preferences = Sessions
and add:

deluge-torrent

To make it start on startup.

Also look into cron to make it shutdown at a specific time.

I guess you already no about the "autologin" feature in System = Administration = Login Window
under the "security" tab. But that would off cause be at all times = no solution.

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
im on Optus ADSL ( connection speeds up to 8mbs ) which is like $63 a month with 12gb Downloads and Off-peak
But i've recently found a way better plan. Its ADSL 2. ( connection speeds up to 24 MB'S ) 30gb A month + 20 Gb Off-peak for $59.99. Which is way better then my current plane in every way and seems to be $3 cheaper. Also has a static IP for hosting servers. www,tpg.com.au . That's the best ISP plan for me in my price range. If it is for you to, Check it out im switching soon!

Tim Sharitt
July 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
From the main menu or menu bar:
System --> Administration and select Login Window. Select the Security tab on the login preferences window. Check "Enable Automatic Login" at the top of the screen and select a user from the list. I hope that helps.
I guess I type too slow :)

fenian
July 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Go to the menu System>Administration>Login Window
Click the security tab
check the box next to enable automatic login

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Ok guys it now auto logs in and everything is going good! But Every problem solved leads to another, Now when i log in it says " user/***/nm-aplet is trying to access the keyring "

Thats the notification bar on the panel which connects to the net. And it cant automatically download when it doesn't connect to the net automatically anymore. When we solve this, How to auto shutdown?

doorknob60
July 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I've never gotten gnome network manager and auto login working at the same time... You could either use Knetworkmanager or Wicd. Or I think you could go into the gnome keyring settings and set a blank password (it works in KDE with Kwallet, don't know about gnome).

Jim!
July 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
im on Optus ADSL ( connection speeds up to 8mbs ) which is like $63 a month with 12gb Downloads and Off-peak
But i've recently found a way better plan. Its ADSL 2. ( connection speeds up to 24 MB'S ) 30gb A month + 20 Gb Off-peak for $59.99. Which is way better then my current plane in every way and seems to be $3 cheaper. Also has a static IP for hosting servers. www,tpg.com.au . That's the best ISP plan for me in my price range. If it is for you to, Check it out im switching soon!

Hey cool! A similar plan is available in my area (36GB) at $59.95. Thats way better then my current plan ($60 12GB No Off peak). Looks like I'll be changing. Thanks!:)

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Hey cool! A similar plan is available in my area (36GB) at $59.95. Thats way better then my current plan ($60 12GB No Off peak). Looks like I'll be changing. Thanks!:)

what company?

Canis familiaris
July 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Another Australian, Sorry I don't know how to solve your problem - But can you tell me what ISP you use because I'm also on a 12GB Cap (Bigpond) but I don't have off-peak:( Australia really is a third world Country when it comes to Internet:(

At least your situation is better than the situation in India.

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM
At least your situation is better than the situation in India.

theres a simple solution for your problem, Move to australia! lol.

Back on topic. I was looking around keyring and took out the password but it just asked for a password next time :P. Any other idears? I need to solve this problem before MIDNIGHT! ( plays spooky horror music )

aktiwers
July 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I did something else the other day that fixed that thing.. now I cant find it.
Anyways it did screw something up, like networkmanager completely disconnecting from the internet when the PC went to sleep. However, I just found this guide for you (which is not the same thing I did), maybe it will work for you?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187874

Canis familiaris
July 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
theres a simple solution for your problem, Move to australia! lol.

Even a better solution is to move to Finland/Denmark/Sweden. hundreds of Mbps to 2Gbps :faint: :lolflag:

lisati
July 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Aaargh! I'm on $NZ50 with a 6Gb cap, and snails-pace connection by comparison......

Should I start swimming across the ditch? If so, how best do I waterproof my gear?

aktiwers
July 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I have unlimited 100mbit/s in Denmark - and it is included in my rent. :P

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Aaargh! I'm on $NZ50 with a 6Gb cap, and snails-pace connection by comparison......

Should I start swimming across the ditch? If so, how best do I waterproof my gear?

Don't worry bout swimming, Just dangle some tuna in the water and wait for a dolphin to come. When it does Jump on it and grab it's fin and steer to the big land mass! Then enjoy your slightly faster INTERNET!

billynomates
July 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine wrote this (http://sat2000.sourceforge.net/) program. Maybe it could help you.
Also, There are a unch of online torrent clients, which download and seed your file for you, so that you can turn your computer off while it downloads. Then once it's done you just go to the site and download the file. Photobucket has one.

billynomates
July 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Oh and by the way, I have my computer set to auto-login, but I have gnome-screensaver-command -l in my sessions so that whoever turns my computer on still has to enter a password, but the desktop loads in the background.

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I read the whole 16 page thread and only the last post helped :P.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5177343&postcount=195

Solved that new issue. Now How to make it shutdown Automatically?

Thankyou

lisati
July 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Don't worry bout swimming, Just dangle some tuna in the water and wait for a dolphin to come. When it does Jump on it and grab it's fin and steer to the big land mass! Then enjoy your slightly faster INTERNET!
:)

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
:)

Well should take you bout 20 hours to get here, When you do give me a ring!

BluePlum
July 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
So how exactly do i auto shutdown?

todlangweilig
July 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure I can help you; unfortunately I have no experience with Deluge. Let me make sure I understand the situation. The computer will start up automatically, log itself in, run deluge, exit deluge and shutdown?

1. Does deluge exit when the torrents are finished downloading?
2. If not, is there a way for the computer to know that the torrent is done?
3. Or do you want the computer to shutdown after some amount of time, when it is likely the torrent(s) have finished downloaded?

I think 1 and 3 would have an easy solution using cron, 2 would require a more complex solution.

I'm curious as to the solution that will be found, since I have wanted to do something similar for my server. (automatically turn off when a task is completed)

BluePlum
July 14th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure I can help you; unfortunately I have no experience with Deluge. Let me make sure I understand the situation. The computer will start up automatically, log itself in, run deluge, exit deluge and shutdown?

1. Does deluge exit when the torrents are finished downloading?
2. If not, is there a way for the computer to know that the torrent is done?
3. Or do you want the computer to shutdown after some amount of time, when it is likely the torrent(s) have finished downloaded?

I think 1 and 3 would have an easy solution using cron, 2 would require a more complex solution.

I'm curious as to the solution that will be found, since I have wanted to do something similar for my server. (automatically turn off when a task is completed)

1. I i don't think deluge exits when torrent is done but it can remove torrents when done, may theres an add on to do it.

2. Nop the only way for you to shutdown the torrent when it's done is to look at the ETA in deluge and set it at the ETA, But that would require you to set all the time and torrents speed up, Slow down and cut out all the time.

3. i just want my computer to shutdown at a certain time Everyday.

assasin@Invisible-Assasin:~$ cron
cron: can't open or create /var/run/crond.pid: Permission denied

todlangweilig
July 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM
It took me a little while to figure out, but I think I have it finally.

These explain how to set up a cron task
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102626

For this example, I'm going to have the computer shutdown at 3am everyday. Read the links I listed to change the time to the value you would like.

Run the following command in the terminal

sudo crontab -e

edit the file to look like this:

PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
# m h dom mon dow command
00 03 * * * shutdown -P now

The path line is there so the shutdown command can be found by the root user, it doesn't seem to work without it. The -P argument for shutdown tells the computer to power off. The now argument specifies when the computer will turn off after shutdown has been run.

You might want to set it to a time other than now to give yourself a chance to cancel the shutdown if you happen to be using the computer at the time. Read the man shutdown page for information on how to cancel a shutdown.