PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving Ubuntu/WinXP hard drive(s) to another computer

Whydoe
July 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I have another, faster, computer I want to move my hard drives into. I have 3 hard drives. 1 is for Win XP, the 2nd is just for data (NTFS) and the third is partitioned for WinXP and Ubuntu. There isn't much of a difference in the computers. I'm going from a P3 600 to a P4 1800. Will just moving the hard drives confuse Ubuntu and/or WinXP? If so, what would be the easiest way of moving the hard drives. Thanks.

SkonesMickLoud
July 13th, 2008, 03:30 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=599599

Whydoe
July 13th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks. So I'm assuming doing a physical move of the hard drives would confuse Ubuntu?

SkonesMickLoud
July 13th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Whoops, I read the OP completely wrong!!! Thought you were moving to bigger HDD's. You can ignore that thread I linked you to.

Moving drives from one computer to another shouldn't break anything. Just be sure to hook the drives up in the same order in the new box. You may run into hardware issues though, which may require installation of different drivers, which Ubuntu will hopefully see and grab for you.

Whydoe
July 13th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Whew! Thanks again. That's easier. I wasn't too sure about doing a lot of stuff with the "dd" comand. I'm on dial-up and if I had to re-install both my O/S's from scatch again I think I'd just give up and buy a C64 off Ebay!
The link does help though - I may want to scrap the XP partition completely on this other computer and just use Ubuntu. WinXP, even a fresh install, runs like a sloth on this computer.

steve8track
July 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Try this to help with adding/removing an OS from an existing system without wiping it clean:

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_x p_stepbystep.htm

I hope it helps,

Steve

Whydoe
July 13th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Awesome. Now, if I could just get hi-speed out here in cottage country, I'd be all set.