PDA

View Full Version : Pushing it: Openoffice.org 1.1.3

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 03:53 AM
I'm planning a openoffice 1.1.3 backport, because I love the GNOME/GTK+ integration this version from Hoary brought!

Needless to say, this is a LOT of compiling, so I'll blog my progress here.

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Downloading sources!!!

10 mins left.

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Resolving dependencies....

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Yuck, need at least 2 libs to be backported!

Since they are slotted, I think I'll proceed.

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 04:13 AM
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libcurl3-dev libaltlinuxhyph-dev (>= 0.1.1-6) libebook1.2-dev libxkbfile-dev libxinerama-dev
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Build conflicts: libidn11 (<< 0.5.2-3)

I'm gonna continue and backport these libraries.

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
ok, this is going too far outside my comfort zone. I'm NOT going to backport any libraries just for this!!

Forcing no-deps checking... Seeing if OOo will build.

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 05:02 AM
forget it -- this is going absolutely too far...

OOO 1.1.3 backports are SCRAPPED.

panickedthumb
December 19th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Too bad, the Gnome integration is sweet!!

Can't blame you really though. I wouldn't want to deal with that either!

flibblesan
December 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Too bad, the Gnome integration is sweet!!

Can't blame you really though. I wouldn't want to deal with that either!
shame, but I understand backporting libs can caused a lot of problems.

Good attempt though!

Hikaru79
December 19th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Aaw, shucks ;_; You got me all excited reading the first post :)

Ah well, that's OK ^ ^ One can always compile from source on their own, right?

jdong
December 19th, 2004, 06:19 PM
It's nasty source to compile...

I got all the dependencies packaged -- 15 libraries -- most of them in main, most of them not binary compatible with Warty's, most of them not slotted.... It was unacceptable. Sorry.

regeya
December 19th, 2004, 09:27 PM
It's nasty source to compile...

I got all the dependencies packaged -- 15 libraries -- most of them in main, most of them not binary compatible with Warty's, most of them not slotted.... It was unacceptable. Sorry.

I don't think anyone in their right mind could blame you for not wanting to package the mess; after all, it'll probably cause a lot of problems that'll need to be resolved; I for one will just look forward to the improved OO.o when Hoary is released. :)

kja
December 22nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
I dont know if other folks will find this aceptable or not , but I installed OOo 1.1.3 from debian unstable (excluding the Evo Address book intergration , which I dont use ) .

Sid's Libs are close to Warty's than Hoary's are and IIRC I only had to get one lib (libcurl3 I think ) . The installation was flawless , and no more or less scary than using backports or Hoary versions .

I also got firefox 1.0 from sid as well with zero hassels ,

kja

cpinto
December 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
I did most of the OOo Portuguese L10N team builds for Linux, so if in any way I can lend a hand, let me know...

jdong
December 22nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
If I uploaded those 15 dependency libs, I could've easily gotten a build of OOo 1.1.3 working. However, these new libs would be binary-incompatible with existing Warty packages -- and I have no right to be breaking Warty packages!

I did manage to get OOo 1.1.3 to compile, by bypassing dependency checks. However, I really don't WANT to know how much stuff could be broken!

So, I'll leave OOo to be.

cpinto
December 22nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
If I uploaded those 15 dependency libs, I could've easily gotten a build of OOo 1.1.3 working. However, these new libs would be binary-incompatible with existing Warty packages -- and I have no right to be breaking Warty packages!

I did manage to get OOo 1.1.3 to compile, by bypassing dependency checks. However, I really don't WANT to know how much stuff could be broken!

So, I'll leave OOo to be.
AFAIK, the dependencies are defined by the original packager with regards to the most stable packages of the distribution. OOo by itself doesn't have any special requirements when it comes to GTK dependencies, therefore I'm willing to give it a go, and try to compile OOo during the night.
Where can I download the source package?

[UPDATE:]
maybe it's a bit too premature, but OOo 1.1.3 seems to be compiling as I write this. If it gets to build the debian packages, evolution support is gone. I can't say I see this as a major issue, because the official OOo 1.1.3 build doesn't support it.