PDA

View Full Version : Avira Antivir - Could you add to the Wiki?

fiddledeedee
July 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi!

You have a great page already in the wiki
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Could you add please Avira Antivir (I know the windows version which is very good in speed, detection and look & feel.)? Compiling the kernel module dakuzo is kinda hard and instructions on google are outdated for hardy.

I would be glad if someone could add some documentation.

aysiu
July 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM
A Wiki is editable by anyone. Why ask others to add it when you can add it yourself?

fiddledeedee
July 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM
A Wiki is editable by anyone. Why ask others to add it when you can add it yourself?

Because I lack the technical knowledge how to install AntiVir.

So I am asking here if someone could add it.

robertyou
October 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Go to http://www.free-av.com/en/download/download_servers.php and download both tar.gz package and license file on Desktop.

Open up a terminal and type following commands:

1. cd ~/Desktop

2. sudo tar -xvzf name_of_the_file.tar.gz

//(extract the package to a folder)

3. cd ./name_of_the_folder_you_just_extracted

4. sudo sh install

//(start the installation)

5. //and just follow the installation guide carefully on terminal

6. //when asked to enter the path to the license file enter the path where you downloaded it (say desktop)..

Enter:

~/Desktop/hbedv.key

7. //be sure to answer yes for GUI installation if you're not familiar with command-line

8. //After installation complete. To start Antivir GUI, type following in terminal..

sudo antivir-gui

P.S. you need to have sun Java to use gui

jrusso2
October 3rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
I think antivir is pretty easy how about dazuko?

robertyou
October 14th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I think antivir is pretty easy how about dazuko?

Yeah..about that. After reading some more posts here, I'm convinced linux might just be safe enough to run without an antivirus software..

Decided to remove avira before I finish dealing with dazuko :lolflag:(actually to my knowledge you need to have dazuko installed and compiled before avira is installed..)