PDA

View Full Version : got a new Toshiba notebook

egwest
July 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I bought myself a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5843 which was on clearance sale from Best Buy, never even turned it on for Windows to boot up, I manually popped out the disc tray and inserted Ubuntu 8.04, it installed without a hitch, the only problem I had was with the wireless, and it took me a an hour of research on the forms here to find a solution for it, but now everything is working smoothly. I have another notebook which I dual boot, I have a couple of pieces of hardware which just have to have windows, and there is not a Linux solution (yet) but I wanted a pure Linux powered notebook with no windows installed.

You should have seen the face of the sales clerk when they tried to get me to fill out the Windows registration form, I refused and told them I was not going to use the installed windows, and that as soon as I got home, I was going to erase the hard drive and installing Ubuntu Linux OS over it. The clerk did not have understood what Linux was as he went ahead and tried to sell me MS Word and Money. It took me a minute to get it through to him that Linux was another operating system and I did not need any Microsoft software as whatever I needed I could get for free, or if necessary try to build my own.

For some reason he had to call the manager over to get an ok for me not filling out the form they use to register the sale of a computer with windows on it. :lolflag:

VitaLiNux
July 12th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I wish it comes the day when everyone will be able to buy laptops @ retailer stores without any forced OS loaded. Just look @ the OP's experience: he did pay for a Microsoft license and its software, but he got rid of it without hesitation, because he doesn't need it. We should have the option of buying just the hardware. Microsoft and its business habits have done a huge damage to the computer world. That's the only way they can keep the market!

Why should anyone buy something that will never use? I mean, this so-you-want-the-hardware?-Then-you-have-to-buy-my-crap-into-it thing is really sick:roll:

Edit: There should be some kind of punishment from the government to stop this s*it!

egwest
July 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I wish it comes the day when everyone will be able to buy laptops @ retailer stores without any forced OS loaded. Just look @ the OP's experience: he did pay for a Microsoft license and its software, but he got rid of it without hesitation, because he doesn't need it. We should have the option of buying just the hardware. Microsoft and its business habits have done a huge damage to the computer world. That's the only way they can keep the market!

Why should anyone buy something that will never use? I mean, this so-you-want-the-hardware?-Then-you-have-to-buy-my-crap-into-it thing is really sick:roll:

Edit: There should be some kind of punishment from the government to stop this s*it!

The main reason I bought this one instead of going ahead and buying one that had Ubuntu preinstalled on it like I was planning was because of the clearance price of $459.99 it's original price was listed at $699.99 so I figured it was worth buying.

Oh, I peeled off that vista sticker and put on a Powered by Ubuntu sticker you can get for free from System 76.:D

darco
July 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
The best way is to make an image of your laptop before you erase it. Why? Because in case of warranty issues, the Mfg wont honor any claims if you changed your OS. In case you do have an issue, you can reload the original OS and get the support you need.

darco

egwest
July 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM
The best way is to make an image of your laptop before you erase it. Why? Because in case of warranty issues, the Mfg wont honor any claims if you changed your OS. In case you do have an issue, you can reload the original OS and get the support you need.

darco

I never worry about warranty's on computers or a few other electronics. I personally have never used one so never bother with them. Unless it is a piece of equipment like a lawn mower where a warranty comes in handy sharping the blade, replace wheels and such.

joeradtke
September 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Please tell me how you got it to work. I bought one also and have been trying to get the wireless to work for weeks. i tried madwifi and ndiswrapper and have gotten nowhere. I only get eth0 with ifconfig - no wlan0 or ath0 or anything else.

I've tried various things i've found in forums but nothing works.

Joe Radtke

joeradtke
September 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
I bought myself a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5843 which was on clearance sale from Best Buy, never even turned it on for Windows to boot up, I manually popped out the disc tray and inserted Ubuntu 8.04, it installed without a hitch, the only problem I had was with the wireless, and it took me a an hour of research on the forms here to find a solution for it, but now everything is working smoothly. I have another notebook which I dual boot, I have a couple of pieces of hardware which just have to have windows, and there is not a Linux solution (yet) but I wanted a pure Linux powered notebook with no windows installed.

You should have seen the face of the sales clerk when they tried to get me to fill out the Windows registration form, I refused and told them I was not going to use the installed windows, and that as soon as I got home, I was going to erase the hard drive and installing Ubuntu Linux OS over it. The clerk did not have understood what Linux was as he went ahead and tried to sell me MS Word and Money. It took me a minute to get it through to him that Linux was another operating system and I did not need any Microsoft software as whatever I needed I could get for free, or if necessary try to build my own.

For some reason he had to call the manager over to get an ok for me not filling out the form they use to register the sale of a computer with windows on it. :lolflag:
Please tell me how you got it to work. I bought one also and have been trying to get the wireless to work for weeks. i tried madwifi and ndiswrapper and have gotten nowhere. I only get eth0 with ifconfig - no wlan0 or ath0 or anything else.

Joe Radtke

plb
September 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM

Joe Radtke

If you have the realtek wireless there is a howto on help.ubuntu.com. I have the satellite a215 and wireless works fine with the howto.

joeradtke
September 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
unfortunately its an atheros. It is really frustrating as there is no wlan0 no ath0 no wifi0 only an eth0. The hardware is recognized by ubuntu and by ndiswrapper. The switch on the laptop is turned on. I suspect there is a config fiel somewhere to fool with but I've searched high and low with no luck.

Joe