PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] msn contacts sync

Skorzen
July 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hello again, guys.

I just wanna know if there is a way to easily synchronize my msn contacts (from any app - i.e. pidgin or amsn) to an e-mail app (i.e. evolution or thunderbird).

Thanks in advice.

ChameleonDave
July 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I don't believe there is a simple way of doing that.

boblemur
July 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
msn will export its contacts as a list ( one person per line, email address only, no names, phone numbers... ) so you could use unix tools to format it and copy it into what eva file evolution uses to store its contatcts...

however its quite hard to get your data out of msn(as in names etc)

ChameleonDave
July 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM
msn will export its contacts as a list...
What do you mean by "msn"? The original poster was talking about Pidgin and aMSN. Do you mean Windows Live Messenger, on another operating system?

boblemur
July 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
ohhh yeh sorry my mistake...

Can I import or export my buddy list?

Not with Pidgin alone, but the Purple Plugin Pack provides the List Handler plugin, which adds some importing and exporting capabilities.

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#CanIimportorexportmybuddylist

but once you have that you can prob do it... but it wont be much use without the names of the people...

Skorzen
July 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't care about names. If there is a way to just import contacts from MSN to an e-mail app it would be nice. I will see the link you gave.

By the way, is there a way to import MSN contacts or e-mail app contacts to gmail? Is it easier?

It looks like I must get a csv file containing my contacts so gmail can handle it. Anyone knows anything about it?

Thanks for your patience.