PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Beginners questions and answers for Newbies

sharks
July 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
This is a thread where we should answer Absolute Beginners questions. Only basic problem questions.

Q: How do i update and Upgrade?
A: For update , type in terminal sudo apt-get update , for upgrade sudo apt-get upgrade.

Q: Ubuntu Microphone Problems and solutions
A: Open your terminal and just copy and paste the following code to get latest ALSA drivers which can fix.

wget
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver
/alsa-driver-1.0.14.tar.bz2
tar -xjf alsa-driver-1.0.14.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-1.0.14
./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

But before trying above trick you can try one more trick.Double click on the volume icon on the panel.Then Edit>Preferences.Then make sure you selected Microphone,Mic boost,Capture.Once you do this you can find new capture tab in volume control panel.Here make sure nothing is muted(no red x on microphone icon).In options tab make sure you selected Microphone as input source.

Q : Permission Denied
A : Open the terminal and type sudo in-front-of-the-command

Q: Cannot access internet (ethernet)
A: type in terminal sudo pppoeconf and configure it

Q: Installing Files
A: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

Q: Cant play videos in Websites like youtube and many other.
A: type in terminal sudo apt-get installl flashplugin-nonfree

Q: All codecs and Flash Player
A: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I hope this helps some of the members here and please contribute some here.

beercz
July 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
This is a thread where we should answer Absolute Beginners questions. Only basic problem questions.

Q: How do i update and Upgrade?
A: For update , type in terminal sudo apt-get update , for upgrade sudo apt-get upgrade.

Q: Ubuntu Microphone Problems and solutions
A: Open your terminal and just copy and paste the following code to get latest ALSA drivers which can fix.

wget
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver
/alsa-driver-1.0.14.tar.bz2
tar -xjf alsa-driver-1.0.14.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-1.0.14
./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

But before trying above trick you can try one more trick.Double click on the volume icon on the panel.Then Edit>Preferences.Then make sure you selected Microphone,Mic boost,Capture.Once you do this you can find new capture tab in volume control panel.Here make sure nothing is muted(no red x on microphone icon).In options tab make sure you selected Microphone as input source.

Q : Permission Denied
A : Open the terminal and type sudo in-front-of-the-command

Q: Cannot access internet (ethernet)
A: type in terminal sudo pppoeconf and configure it

Q: Installing Files
A: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

Q: Cant play videos in Websites like youtube and many other.
A: type in terminal sudo apt-get installl flashplugin-nonfree

Q: All codecs and Flash Player
A: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I hope this helps some of the members here and please contribute some here.
Don't we have a forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) for this already?

barbedsaber
July 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
whats that command that removes all the packages that were no longer needed (the were dependency's for programs that have been uninstall ed)

uh, I know, but, you say it first. :)

MasterXandrex
July 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I think there should be some explanation. It is a terrible idea to tell a user any time they get "Permission Denied" to just prepend it with sudo. People who do not know what that does should probably not be sudoing commands. There's a reason you need to use that command explicitely.

Xan

Masoris
July 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Why every answers need terminal? Many absolute beginner has fear such CUI stuff, doesn't it?

Sealbhach
July 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Why every answers need terminal? Many absolute beginner has fear such CUI stuff, doesn't it?

Because it's quick.

Copy and paste.

Much less chance of directions not being followed properly.

fatality_uk
July 11th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Don't we have a forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) for this already?

Agreed. No need to re-invent the wheel!

intimatewipe
July 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I tried to reinvent the wheel so I put corners on it so it wouldn't roll away if you left it,never took off:)

fatality_uk
July 11th, 2008, 11:45 PM
:lol: That joke is almost as old as the wheel ;)

cardinals_fan
July 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM
i Think There Should Be Some Explanation. It Is A Terrible Idea To Tell A User Any Time They Get "permission Denied" To Just Prepend It With Sudo. People Who Do Not Know What That Does Should Probably Not Be Sudoing Commands. There's A Reason You Need To Use That Command Explicitely.

Xan
+1