PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ~Please Help upgrading to 8.04 from CD~

SilentChorus™
July 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I have just received the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition cd.

I currently have Ubuntu 6.06 LTS which a freind installed a few years back, and want to upgrade. I know pretty much nothing about commands etc. I tried the alt F2 thing, and it came up with a run application box... but i'm not sure what I am supposed to select...

When I put the cd in the drive, it comes up with a tonne of files... and once again i'm unsure as to which I should choose.

I did try to upgrade though the upgrade manager via the internet, but as I am on dialup with 5 hour log offs... (Due to the kangaroos being a bit slow at the server... ) I am unable to download it.

I would be grateful for any help...

Thankyou,

~Dani~

Archmage
July 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I'm sorry. To upgrade from a CD you need to have the Alternate-CD.

SilentChorus™
July 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Erm...

What is that???

I was sent the one from Canonical, which was on the Ubuntu site...

(Thankyou for answering too...)

~Dani~

SkonesMickLoud
July 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
If you have the HDD space, you would be much better off trying this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

and then doing a clean install with your 8.04 disk. Doing an upgrade/disk download over dial-up will be excruciating.

SilentChorus™
July 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
It's only a baby 20gig hard drive...

And I would have NO idea how to install or re-install it at all. I had a freind put this on years back... and we are nolonger in touch.

Think i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...

~Dani~

logos34
July 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
And I would have NO idea how to install or re-install it at all. I had a freind put this on years back...

Well, if installing makes you uncomfortable, then you're best bet would be to try and get your hands on the alternate cd, (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#Upgrading%20using%20the%20alternate% 20CD/DVD) like Archimage suggested, and upgrade. Find someplace with fast internet, like school, work, library, friend's, etc. to download, burn it to cd there or copy to usb stick (> 1 GB), take it home and burn it to cd.

However, a fresh install is not difficult, and it would be a good learning experience. There's no shortage of howtos out there, and I'm sure you could find someone in the forums willing to walk you through it.

Good luck!

SkonesMickLoud
July 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
In my travels, I stumbled upon this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572819

Sef
July 12th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I did try to upgrade though the upgrade manager via the internet, but as I am on dialup with 5 hour log offs... (Due to the kangaroos being a bit slow at the server... ) I am unable to download it.

What you really need is the DVD version. Even if you install the cd, there is quite a bit of downloads.

PM me if you would like me to send you a DVD of Hardy.

Also read Psychocats (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php) starting with the introduction.

upchucky
July 12th, 2008, 02:14 AM
twice i have upgraded ubuntu from the live cd, all i had to do was put the cd in the drive after ubuntu was running, when the automount detected the cd, it automatically gave me the option to upgrade from the cd.

thought i would repeat this, you do not boot from the live cd, you put it in the drive after you have started your existing ubuntu install.

worked like a charm, except my nvidia which is normal.

SilentChorus™
July 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Thank you everyone for all your advice... i'll try the DVD as Sef suggested, see how I go from there. Will let you know how I progress!

Thankyou again!

~Dani~

vincentvee
July 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Thank you everyone for all your advice... i'll try the DVD as Sef suggested, see how I go from there. Will let you know how I progress!

Thankyou again!

~Dani~

you want me to send you a copy of the alternate install disk?
will take a couple of days to get there from NSW bu ti know it will work, but seriously what i would do is just back up all your files and then use the disk you got from shipit to reinstall the lot, then put your backup back into your home folder.
i was thinking about starting an online shop where i could sell debs on disk to people on dial up, i think it would be great for bigger applications