PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner Eliminates Usenet Access -- Complaint

Prospero2006
July 11th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hello all,

Time Warners recent move to block usenet and pilot per-bandwidth billing in Beaumont, Texas prompted me to send this letter of complaint:

---
Please Forward this to the Appropriate Department: (Customer Complaint)
I am extremely unhappy with the approach Time Warner is taking in relation to my internet access in two areas. 1.) The billing-per-bandwidth testing that is being piloted in Beaumont, Texas is very troubling. 2.) The recent move to eliminate free access to the ENTIRE usenet heirarchy is borderline unforgivable.

1.) Usenet is a valuable resource for technical questions and expert advice. The alt.os.linux.* domain, for example, has been extremely helpful to me over the years. I've been using NNTP since the early nineties. For the first time in my life, I now find I have to pay extra for it.

Per-Bandwidth Billing: I'm within an hair's breadth of switching my phone, cable, and internet to AT&T or another provider as it is. If Time Warner switches to a per-bandwidth policy in any way, shape, or form, I'm gone.
Furthermore, I work in IT. I'll tell everyone I know to steer clear of of Time Warner services.

-Good Luck, and please don't respond to this email. I don't want to hear it.

---

Anyone here think I'm out of line?

Polygon
July 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
you could of been a bit nicer, and included some good factual reasons on why limiting or eliminating any type of internet access does nothing and will not solve the problem

although frankly i would of just switched, put my money where my mouth is.

toupeiro
July 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Passionate, but not alltogether out of line. I may have given them an opportunity to respond, because then you have their official answer which you can also share with other people as to why they did this. Other people could then decide if they want an ISP with these types of priorities and practices.

I actually had time warner bend over backwards for me once. in 1999 (or maybe it was 2000), they started doing the "early-bird" broadband rollouts in my area, but this was before they had take-home kits. So, they sent some guy to my house, and he proceeded to remove my Netware Client32 installation which I used to work from home with. When I tried to stop him, he ignored me, got on his phone and walked away from me telling his dispatcher that I was refusing service. I let the main supervisor of my area have it in an email, stating that everyone I work with and know will hear about what your installation procedure is, and I got a phone call back almost immediately. I happen to become the first home-kit user in the central valley according to him, and also got quite a bit discounted off my bill for a while in charges.

Even though time warner is a huge company, they still have a repore to maintain, and with the cost of gas and food, people are sacrificing broadband every day to make ends meet. They can't afford to blow off everyone. :)

Mateo
July 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
AT&T also recently dropped most of the alt.* line of newsgroups.