PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Update manager problem

csc2ya
July 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Odd problem with update manager. This has happened about 5 times today so far:

I keep getting a yellow triangle appearing on the top panel that has an exclamation mark in it. When I hover over it, I get the following message:

'The update information is outdated. This may be caused by network problems. Please update manually by clicking on this icon and then selecting 'Check'.'

When I do that, it says there are no updates available, and also that the last time I checked for updates was 7 days ago. However, there were a load of updates installed yesteday, so i'm not quite sure why it's saying that.

About the only thing that's changed lately, is I rebooted my router last night, but I don't think it's caused by that.

Anyone got any ideas?

jimv
July 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Try "sudo apt-get update" in a terminal.

csc2ya
July 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks...seems to have sorted it. I'll find out soon.

Doesn't seem to be coming up now, so it looks like it has fixed it. Thanks again.

csc2ya
July 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM
looks like I spoke too soon...it's started appearing again:confused:

iaculallad
July 11th, 2008, 01:47 AM
looks like I spoke too soon...it's started appearing again:confused:

Try using different download Server:

System->Administration->Software Sources, under the "Ubuntu Software" tab, make sure that Main, Universe, Restricted, and Multiverse are CHECKED. "Download From:" should equal to "Main Server". And, make sure that the option "Installeable from CDROM-DVD" is unchecked. Click on Close buttong and select/click on "Reload" button on the next window that displays.

When done, Drop to your terminal and issue the command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

csc2ya
July 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I thought i'd wait a while before replying to check that it didn't come up again, but the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade seems to have fixed it.

I did that last night, and it still came up, but after being off for a few hours overnight, It hasn't occurred today at all, so it looks like it's fixed. Thanks for the help:)