PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] PS3 question

mab1376
July 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
does Mythbuntu have PS3 support, if not can you install the mythbuntu software via apt after installing ubuntu-ps3 version.

and is there an USB tv tuners that support mythbuntu?

blazercist
July 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
ps3 support is extremely limited, i doubt the ps3 has the horsepower or RAM needed to decode a video stream let alone the drivers for the TV tuner card... if im right the drivers need to be ported for the PPC architecture, I would stay away from using linux on the PS3 in general for a while until they get all the kinks worked out

mab1376
July 10th, 2008, 04:24 PM
if you say so, i actually dont even own a PS3 yet, i was looking to turn it into a linux based HTPC as well as being a PS3 and Blu-ray dvd player.

kalel90
November 29th, 2008, 04:09 AM
You would be wrong the ps3 can decode/render 2 1080p streams at once perfectly fine people underestimated the ability of just the processors on the ps3 to render the video most people thought it would require access to the video card which it turns out it doesn't.

lukedupree
November 29th, 2008, 04:49 AM
does Mythbuntu have PS3 support, if not can you install the mythbuntu software via apt after installing ubuntu-ps3 version.

and is there an USB tv tuners that support mythbuntu?

Actually Yellow Dog Linux distro was made specifically for the PS3.

http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/

Works well although the PS3 is short on RAM. I have it running 1080P on a 56" LCD TV. Very clear picture, supports blue tooth as well. Free download and burn ISO to DVD. I put a 250 gig hard drive in the PS3 and partitioned it with 50 gig for Linux. I had a lot of issues with the wireless though. Finally just went with wired connection. Check the forums there.

Luke

drinkmocha
April 21st, 2009, 05:45 AM
Actually Yellow Dog Linux distro was made specifically for the PS3.

http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/

Works well although the PS3 is short on RAM. I have it running 1080P on a 56" LCD TV. Very clear picture, supports blue tooth as well. Free download and burn ISO to DVD. I put a 250 gig hard drive in the PS3 and partitioned it with 50 gig for Linux. I had a lot of issues with the wireless though. Finally just went with wired connection. Check the forums there.

Luke

Did you install Mythbuntu as well? I'm planning on getting a PS3 soon and turning it into a media center

quickdraw
July 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I just installed Xubuntu on my ps3, and it seems to be working just fine. It's a bit of a hassle to set up, especially if you have issues with your video output.

I have a 37" Vizio and use HDMI cables. The sound is a bit on the weaker side, but that is probably just my mp3 files, and I just use the television's speakers. But with VLC, I was able to watch some ripped DVDs in .iso format, so not bad all around.

Right now I am trying to figure out a good keyboard though. I bought a Logitech Mediaboard Pro, and returned it because Bluetooth and Linux are just still not 100%. So if you have any advice on a good "HTPC" RF wireless keyboard, let me know.

bergqvistjl
August 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
You could use a PS3 as a Mythbuntu frontend i suppose. I think that means no need for TV card drivers then, if its all being streamed from the backend? Would make sense as most PS3's are in the living room anyway.