PDA

View Full Version : If you hate windows so badly, why do you use it through a VM?

VitaLiNux
July 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
:confused:

Well, well, well...

I've heard you bashing Winnose a lot, boy. I know that you (and you know that me too) have deeply fell in love with computers after we found out there's something more than M@c and Winnose...And free!! But what I'm still struggling to understand, boy, is why, after ditching off your HDD your Winnose partition and put Ubuntu on it because you told me you were angry with ¨MicroCrap and ol' Greedy Billy boy¨ as you said, after that you installed Virtu4lb0x and loaded it with your copy of ¨ MicroCrap
X P ¨ !!

Geez, man, I don't understand you! Why? Why!? WHY!? Why should anyone keep bashing what one still use!?:confused::confused::confused:

LaRoza
July 9th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Many people have software they need to use, but isn't available for Linux and doesn't work well or at all in Wine.

I don't use Windows in a WM.

UniverseA7X
July 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
The reason I bash Winnose is because I want a bloody one. I sometimes bash it against a wall, or my desk. Filing cabinets even :lol:

All in all, I don't really bash Windows on this forum at all, I do use it in parallels for Powertab and Guitar Pro, as well as Rosetta Stone.

zmjjmz
July 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Who exactly is the OP talking to?
How does he/she know that it's a boy and not a girl or a borg?

grossaffe
July 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
here's the deal, windows sucks, but some programs written for it and not linux don't. therefore, it is a necessary evil to run windows in order to get at the programs we apparently can't live without. its not that these programs CAN'T be written for linux, they just aren't.

geoken
July 9th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Can you really not understand why people still use XP in VM's or did you just want an excuse to say 'boy' a lot?

I'll try to give you a simple example. Let's assume I hate the Mall. Lets also assume there is a specific task I must do that can only be carried out at the Mall. The end result is I need to visit the Mall, which I openly hate.

Hopefully you won't have too much trouble applying the above analogy to the question posed in your initial post.

shadylookin
July 9th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I have XP on a virtual machine for my friends that sometimes use my computer. Since I already paid the windows tax someone may as well get my moneys worth.

However lots of people still have to do things they don't like because there are no real alternatives. If you have to use a program that only works on windows then you have to use windows. If you have to have a job you might have to work with a boss you hate. etc etc etc

TwiceOver
July 9th, 2008, 11:09 PM
At Home: 1 program... Microsoft Money. There just isn't anything close to as good under Linux.

At Work: LOB apps. MAS doesn't install under WINE and Sharepoint just doesn't act the same under FF.

forger
July 9th, 2008, 11:12 PM
At Home: 1 program... Microsoft Money. There just isn't anything close to as good under Linux.

At Work: LOB apps. MAS doesn't install under WINE and Sharepoint just doesn't act the same under FF.

These are great products:
kmymoney
gnucash
grisbi

VitaLiNux
July 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Who exactly is the OP talking to?
How does he/she know that it's a boy and not a girl or a borg?

What inspired me to open this thread is a friend of mine Who uses both Ubuntu and W*nd*ws who keeps saying that W*nd*ws is crap. And I know there are many people out there with the same attitude. And it's a ¨he¨, not a ¨she¨...

VitaLiNux
July 9th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Can you really not understand why people still use XP in VM's or did you just want an excuse to say 'boy' a lot?

I'll try to give you a simple example. Let's assume I hate the Mall. Lets also assume there is a specific task I must do that can only be carried out at the Mall. The end result is I need to visit the Mall, which I openly hate.

Hopefully you won't have too much trouble applying the above analogy to the question posed in your initial post.

I think you're missing the point.

gameryoshi600
July 9th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I don't use windows through a VM. People mainly use it through a VM for programs they can't live without that don't work great through wine.

djbon2112
July 9th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I have an application (Sibelius 5) which barely runs in WINE. That's why.

TwiceOver
July 9th, 2008, 11:24 PM
These are great products:
kmymoney
gnucash
grisbi

While they are products, they are far from "great". Really far, really really far.

Daveski
July 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I have XP on a virtual machine for my friends that sometimes use my computer. Since I already paid the windows tax someone may as well get my moneys worth.

Indeed - and worth pointing out that running Windows, even in a virtual machine, requires a real license.

NxZDr
July 9th, 2008, 11:38 PM
the networked printer on the Campus has a special program that is used to print on it that Wine lacks the ability to run at all, VMWare worked like a charm.

Spare Win98 Disk + Not Wanting to Fail English = VM'd Win98.

ezekiel000
July 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I don't bash windows and I don't use windows in any way.
I don't really hate windows either just prefer linux.
What I do hate is microsoft business practices.

zmjjmz
July 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM
What inspired me to open this thread is a friend of mine Who uses both Ubuntu and W*nd*ws who keeps saying that W*nd*ws is crap. And I know there are many people out there with the same attitude. And it's a ¨he¨, not a ¨she¨...

So?
I know many people who use Windows exclusively and say it's a POS.

NxZDr
July 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM
True, but people have this remarkable tendancy to not switch from things that displease them just for fear of more displeasure.

I have a friend who runs his windows in Safe Mode because he got a virus once that deleted his desktop icons. He complains all the time, but doesn't want to risk fixing it.

isecore
July 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I run a virtualised installation of XP in VirtualBox. What do I use it for? One thing: Photoshop CS3.

I might have gotten it running under Wine, but the effort and time would have been much more than just installing Winblows and setting up CS3 in there. That's all I use that for. Nothing else. When stripped down to simply supporting one application like that, I can deal with Windows. I don't "use" it per se. Simply boot up the VM when I need Photoshop, do my work and shut down.

I also have a dual-booted XP which I use for one simple purpose: Gaming. Haven't booted into it for a month, since there's currently no games that catch my fancy.

oldsoundguy
July 10th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I do not dual boot or run vm .. I have a stand alone windows machine for Photo Shop and such .. (Gimp is cool, but not there yet and PS and Wine just do not get along as well as they should).

I am re-building that windork xp box right now (new MB/CPU/MEM/Video).. over two days and I still haven't been able to get the stupid thing to see Lite On and Sony DVD units .. defective driver or some such foolishness!

I have the same exact drives in my 3 Gutsy boxes and the OS worked right out of the box.

geoken
July 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM

No, I think you completely missed the point of the analogy. I'll try and simplify it more.

I dislike something but I must use it therefore I use it in the manner which causes the least amount of discomfort.

The problem here is that you, for some reason, are equating doing/using something with liking something. I think there are a couple hundred million people working jobs they hate who would disagree with that.

LaRoza
July 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
@OP People rarely like Windows, they just need it to run something. Try it. Get a Windows install disk and install it. You'll be bored out of your skull. It has nothing worth using.

atomkarinca
July 10th, 2008, 12:21 AM

What's the point?

mrgnash
July 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I don't, boy. Nor do I use Wine, man. Boy.

VitaLiNux
July 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
True, but people have this remarkable tendancy to not switch from things that displease them just for fear of more displeasure.

I have a friend who runs his windows in Safe Mode because he got a virus once that deleted his desktop icons. He complains all the time, but doesn't want to risk fixing it.

Does he know there are Alternatives?

VitaLiNux
July 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
What's the point?

The point is I see no logic when you keep bashing something you hate but use day in and day out. If you have a job and you hate this job, WHY should you KEEP WORKING THERE TIME AFTER TIME? If I hate something, I get rid of it, period!

VitaLiNux
July 10th, 2008, 12:30 AM
@OP People rarely like Windows, they just need it to run something. Try it. Get a Windows install disk and install it. You'll be bored out of your skull. It has nothing worth using.

I do use it. Rarely.

NxZDr
July 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Does he know there are Alternatives?

Everyone knows there are alternatives. Anyone slightly internet savvy knows Linux is out there, practically everyone knows about apple. He just is content dealing with the limits of safemode.

Also the blue text was pretty pointless.

medic2000
July 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
For the one thing. Gaming. I have been playing games for 10 years,they are part of my life. And most of them "unfortunately" doesnt run on Linux. So i must keep that Windows Xp on my hdd. Its very light though. i have stripped it out of everything with nLite except what i need for gaming. It is much like a console now.

atomkarinca
July 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM
The point is I see no logic when you keep bashing something you hate but use day in and day out. If you have a job and you hate this job, WHY should you KEEP WORKING THERE TIME AFTER TIME? If I hate something, I get rid of it, period!

People using Windows in a VM mostly does so because their jobs needs them to do so. It's like wearing a tie; you hate it but you have to do it (well, of course if it's a necessity).

chrisby
July 10th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Because OpenOffice presenter still sucks, and I need to do presentations.

geoken
July 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Because they pay you well?

I'm not sure if you've looked around recently but we don't live in some magical hedonistic world where everyone does exactly what they want at all times. I hated changing diapers, should I have left my infant son on the doorstep of an orphanage?

cardinals_fan
July 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I don't hate Windows, I just don't like it much. I keep it around because Gnumeric is the only remotely decent spreadsheet program for Linux, and it still doesn't have the power for serious analysis.

@OP: That was one of the most bizarre posts I've ever seen. If it was directed at a friend of yours, why didn't you email it to them? Did you want to amaze everyone with your remarkable mastery of the word "boy"?