PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DRM protected WMA books lost DRM???

mikeescott
July 9th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Hi. I had downloaded a few books a while back in XP that are DRM protected. I saved them on a CD for future use. I have since had to replace the hard drive that XP was on and I now cannot play these WMA files. I tried several programs in Ubuntu, but there is just static, if anything at all. Is there any way to recover these files (possibly converting) without buying the books again?

gandaran
July 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi. I had downloaded a few books a while back in XP that are DRM protected. I saved them on a CD for future use. I have since had to replace the hard drive that XP was on and I now cannot play these WMA files. I tried several programs in Ubuntu, but there is just static, if anything at all. Is there any way to recover these files (possibly converting) without buying the books again?

WMA 'DRM' protected files are Microsoft proprietary software and as far as I know you can't play those files in linux.

Bigtime_Scrub
July 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Even if you have the W32 codecs it still might not work because not all WMA files use the same codec. MPlayer plays a lot of them though. If push comes to shove you can always try to convert those files into Ogg and that will play in Ubuntu. Audiokonverter I think is in the repositories and you can use that to try and convert them.

lunarcloud
July 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Sadly, if the codecs do not work (try fluendo legal codecs), then you'll have to go through the arduous task of playing them on windows or a wma drm supported portable media player and recording them as they play (with "what u hear" or through line-in).