PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open archived packages

philk949
July 9th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hi,
When I install packages in Synaptic Manager, they go to my Archive folder as .tar files. I would appreciate some help in opening and running these packages, as I seem to be having a brain freeze where tar files are involved. Can someone please help?
Thank you
philk949

iaculallad
July 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Hi,
When I install packages in Synaptic Manager, they go to my Archive folder as .tar files. I would appreciate some help in opening and running these packages, as I seem to be having a brain freeze where tar files are involved. Can someone please help?
Thank you
philk949

Here, try reading this page (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#installing_a_package_manually) on how to untar archive files and how to install them.

ChameleonDave
July 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Hi,
Thank you
philk949
Do they really? How did you make them do that??

Ubuntu uses Debian packages, with a .deb extension. I am very surprised to hear you have .tar files in /var/cache/apt/archives.

To install a Debian package, use either of the following commands:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
sudo dpkg -i PACKAGENAME.deb

sudo gdebi PACKAGENAME.deb

Alternatively, use can use the graphical installer, either by navigating to the folder in your file manager and opening the package with GDebi, or by entering the following command:

gdebi-gtk PACKAGENAME.deb

To open a tar archive, use the following:

tar -vxf ARCHIVENAME.tar
cd ARCHIVENAME
ls

If the archive is also compressed with gzip, then add the letter "z" to the options. If bzip2, then "j".