PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] New to Ubuntu

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hello all, I'm new to Ubuntu, and was just wanting some help with some basic things.

1. how do i change themes? I've searched and it says to go to system>theme and i don't have that...

2. is there a Linux version of ms-dos?

3. what are some small tips i should know about Ubuntu?

thanks to all who decide to help, it's greatly appreciated

Inxsible
July 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Hello all, I'm new to Ubuntu, and was just wanting some help with some basic things.

1. how do i change themes? I've searched and it says to go to system>theme and i don't have that...

2. is there a Linux version of ms-dos?

3. what are some small tips i should know about Ubuntu?

thanks to all who decide to help, it's greatly appreciated
1) Depends on what theme you are talking about. There are GDM themes - for the login screen and GTK themes- for the desktop

2) You probably mean the command line. Yes Linux was first command line and then GUI ;). You can run the CLI within X by going to Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal.

You can also go to CLI mode by hitting Ctrl + Alt + F1

3) There are lots of tips and tricks in the aptly named sub-forum. Another thing you could do is search the forums and find out more. or simply ask questions here.

Finally, Welcome to Ubuntu and Ubuntuforums. :D

Xerp
July 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
1. I right click on the desktop and do it from there. I get themes from gnome look:

http://www.gnome-look.org/

Some docs here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEyeCandy

2. No, but you can get MS-DOS emulators. You also get BASH - the Bourne Again SHell.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

3. One small tip - use Synaptic to add and remove software!

http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM
thanks for the welcoming :P and thanks for what you've said already,

the theme i'm wanting to install, is a desktop theme i believe, so how would i go about installing it?

thanks for the help on the linux version of ms-dos

and @ xerp, i'll remember that :P seems easier than windows, norton, like a lot of spyware\adware had no uninstall... how ironic.

kostkon
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
1. You must go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance

2. There is a good DOS emulator, if this is what you are looking for, to use DOS programs in Ubuntu. It's called DOSBox and you can install it from Synaptic.

3. There are many Ubuntu related blogs that offer tutorials and program recommendations, just search for them with Google.

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 12:55 AM
i know about dosbox :P i have it on my psp, i ran windows 98 on it a while back.

and when i click Applications, then system, i have no preferences option :-S

kostkon
July 9th, 2008, 12:59 AM
and when i click Applications, then system, i have no preferences option :-S
Do you mean you are checking in Applications -> System? Because the right path is System -> Preferences

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 01:01 AM
isn't the system dir in the applications on the top bar?

if not, then how do i get to system>preferences

kostkon
July 9th, 2008, 01:13 AM
isn't the system dir in the applications on the top bar?

if not, then how do i get to system>preferences
Ah yes, now I understand that you have Xubuntu and not Ubuntu.

Xubuntu does not have a straightforward way of installing a theme. But, you can download an GTK theme, extract it in your .themes hidden folder (/home/yourusername/.themes) and then you should see it listed in Applications->Settings->User Interface Settings

Inxsible
July 9th, 2008, 01:17 AM
It does have a gui way of doing it as well. Its been a while since I used Xfce..so forgive me if I am wrong.

But have a look at Settings>>Desktop or Settings>>Display in your right click menu. One of those has a way of installing themes... you can simply drag and drop it in that window.or click the install theme button and point to your downloaded file....something in me says its most likely Display

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
well, i didn't have the .theme folder... so i created it. and extracted my theme in that folder.i also don't have a user interface settings option :(

personally, i'm thinking i should just install Ubuntu, it would be easier i'm guessing.

edit - i found out how to use desktop themes in xubuntu, but how do i use the other type of theme and what exactly does it show?

Inxsible
July 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
edit - i found out how to use desktop themes in xubuntu, but how do i use the other type of theme and what exactly does it show?What do you mean other type of theme? GDM ?

That should be under right click menu >> Settings >> Login Window. Drag your GDM theme in that window and select it so that it will show up the next time you reboot.

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
ok thanks :-) i saw it a minute ago and forgot... lol, thanks a ton for your help everyone, it's appreciated!

Inxsible
July 9th, 2008, 01:46 AM
ok thanks :-) i saw it a minute ago and forgot... lol, thanks a ton for your help everyone, it's appreciated!You know you can never go back to Windows ...right ;)

tanman37
July 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
i know, it's like the matrix, once you make the switch, theres no going back forever.