PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't open

Elvistcb
July 8th, 2008, 11:31 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and have just installed the 8.04, I cant open it! I can see where it is installed but yet I cannot open, I have no icon or anything, just text, help!

lamego
July 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and have just installed the 8.04, I cant open it! I can see where it is installed but yet I cannot open, I have no icon or anything, just text, help!

I hope you understood that Ubuntu is a full operative system and you need to boot from it, it is not a program that will run from windows (unless you used a virtualization software).

I am assuming you have installed it using WUBI, it should be able as soon you reboot your computer, there is an option for it during boot.

Inxsible
July 8th, 2008, 11:37 PM
When you say you "cannot open" it, do you mean you have no GUI?

Looks like you either installed the server version or your X didn't get configured properly.

Can you tell us what version you installed? meaning was it the server version or desktop version?

Elvistcb
July 8th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Desktop

Inxsible
July 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM
DesktopYou can first try and see if you have X installed. Issue this command and see what it does. Post back and tell us if you receive any errors.
startx

Xerp
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Make sure you have installed Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

Elvistcb
July 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I tried the startx command, it didn't work, the reply to the command was to the effect of "not enough information to startx".

sydbat
July 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Did you install using wubi in Windows? Basically, while in Windows, you put in the Ubuntu CD and it asked if you wanted to install it? You have to reboot and an option for Ubuntu will be there for you to choose. That is how you get into Ubutnu.