PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Java and displaying online games/videos with Firefox 3.0 on Ubuntu 8.04

gluonman
July 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Greetings Ubuntu community.

I used to play pool at games.yahoo.com as a favoured pass time. However, since the upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04, and the upgrade to Firefox 3.0, I've found this to be quite impossible. In my internet preferences Java is enabled, but when I open pool at games.yahoo.com, or any other game from any other website requiring Java, it tells me to install the missing plugin, but when I attempt to do so no pertinent plugins are ever available. I've followed various directions I've picked up from different posts and individuals to install this or build that, but nothing has worked for me. My basic flash player seems to work halfway fine. I can watch youtube videos, but only as long as the video is kept in normal size. The moment I switch to fullscreen view the refresh rate on the frame becomes rather crappy. Otherwise, fullscreen works fine with my regular media player. It's just that fullscreen when playing online video sources, such as youtube, become screwy.

My purpose in stating these complaints is to attract the attention of some Ubuntu educated fellow who may be so kind as to enlighten me with the fixes necessary to allow me to continue playing online games that require Java and other such plugins and to be able to enjoy fullscreen capacity with youtube and the like.

gluonman
July 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
A kind thanks to all of you who viewed this tread and thought to post a suggestion sometime later, but I managed to solve my problem by following the directions in the following link: http://www.futuredesktop.com/set_default_java_vm.html.

Good day.

no-1-uno
July 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I am glad you answered your own question as I have not been able to play pool since I changed to Ubuntu. I will use the instructions you posted and see what happens.

Thanx from a newbuh