PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] why is dvd playback not smooth in 8.04?

lazertek
July 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
everytime i play any dvd on ubuntu if it plays its distorted and lagging... I have XP virtualized with virtualbox and it plays distorted on xp too but when xp or vista is installed on its own it plays fine? Is this a bug if it is any fixes?

nikgare
July 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Which graphics card and driver do you have?
Is dma enabled on your system?
Try starting totem (or you video player of choice) in a terminal, playing a dvd and looking for any error messages

ByteJuggler
July 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Are you playing the videos natively also (and is it choppy there too), or only in the XP VM? I would not recommend playing videos in a VM generally, because the VM's virtual video adapter won't be accelerated (at least, they aren't generally, at present) giving rise to video issues for things like movies, and which is why games in a VM is generally not workable.

Make sure your native Linux video drivers are sorted out/fully working/fully accelerated, and your native Linux playback should then be pretty smooth.

Prefix100
July 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Is this from the same buggy DVD drive that you mention in your other topic?

lazertek
July 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Is this from the same buggy DVD drive that you mention in your other topic?
no this is on another computer

eldragon
July 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
run on a terminal

$ metacity --replace

and try playing the video then. if you have compiz enabled, there are some bugs concerning video playback, especially with intel hardware.

lazertek
July 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
run on a terminal

$ metacity --replace

and try playing the video then. if you have compiz enabled, there are some bugs concerning video playback, especially with intel hardware.
I tried that and didn't work... I though it might compiz even before I posted but that didn't help... I then though it might be because I am virtualizing xp switched that off even restarted and tried no luck... I also made sure it was the correct region...

nikgare
July 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
What program are you using to virew the dvds?
I've found that the output from vlc is better than totem-xine here

J A Smith
July 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I can also second the VLC option, I had similar problems and VLC worked straight away.

lazertek
July 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I can also second the VLC option, I had similar problems and VLC worked straight away.
what do i type next to vlc to play the dvd on the command line so i can get some error message i can show

lazertek
July 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
What program are you using to virew the dvds?
I've found that the output from vlc is better than totem-xine here
i tried mplayer totem vlc none work... i was trying to fix my microphone and now my mp3's don't work either although sound works... however all required plugins are installed so I am confused what the problem is... how do i play an mp3 on command line too so i can find out the problem

J A Smith
July 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
VLC is a program, you can download it from the repositories. Use the installed program to play the DVD.

lazertek
July 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM
VLC is a program, you can download it from the repositories. Use the installed program to play the DVD.
i already have vlc player... i meant how do i play the dvd from the terminal

mc4man
July 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
i meant how do i play the dvd from the terminal
For troubleshooting purposes just type vlc in an open terminal and press enter. Then after it opens use as normal, any error mess. will appear in the terminal.
For some add. info while open go view -> messages and or view -> stream and media info -> statistics.
Usually the terminal output is sufficient to point to the problem.

Worst case you go vlc -vv in the terminal, the problem with that command is the amount of info is huge and some errors and warnings are to be expected and are of no consequence.

Prefix100
July 11th, 2008, 02:53 AM
vlc dvd:///dev/scd0