PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Would 4Gb of RAM cause instability on a 32 bit machine?

muteXe
July 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hello,
My new laptop is a ubuntu-vista dual boot. I've only had less than 2 weeks. Now when i boot into vista, it bluescreens after being on for about 10 minutes. I have been posting on vista forums but they dont seem to be technically "with it" as linux people.
Thankfully when i boot into linux i dont get any crashing or anything like that. My question is: should I be prepared for an eventual major crash when I boot into linux because it may have problems coping with 4Gb of RAM on my 32 bit machine? (like crappy vista seems to be).

Thanks in advance,

mute

tamoneya
July 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
dont worry. Thats just vista being vista. The only problem with running 32 bit on a 4GB+ RAM system is that you are wasting money. No kernel panics or BSODs.

phidia
July 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
A 32 bit OS won't recognize more than 3Gb of ram. I'm not a booster of Vista but the behavior you have described isn't normal so while it's under warranty (hopefully) you might want to let the computer maker know you are having a problem-if this is a hardware issue you want them to fix or replace the laptop.
Out of curiousity what make and model laptop is this?

descendency
July 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM
A 32 bit OS won't recognize more than 3Gb of ram.

Because of the memory addressing of the graphics card and CPU.

Inxsible
July 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Since you have 4GB of RAM, why not use a 64 bit Ubuntu to fully utilize your system capabilities?

As for Vista, it probably is a problem with Vista and nothing to do with you having 4GB of RAM.

damis648
July 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Actually, a 32-bit OS can recognize up to a total of 4GB combined memory. This includes your actual RAM and graphics memory, (as well as swap??). So, on my machine with 4GB ram and a 256MB graphics card, free -m tells me:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3545 899 2646 0 22 430

where 3545 is my total available RAM, which was 4GB minus kernel, root access, swap, and graphics memory.

sdennie
July 8th, 2008, 09:30 PM
You can use all 4G of memory on a 32bit machine by using a kernel with PAE support. This allows the kernel to address up to 36bits of RAM (64G) while still having your machine behave like a 32bit machine. The Ubuntu -server kernel has support for this but, it's not well suited for desktop use so, if you don't go 64bit, you'd have to compile a 32bit kernel with PAE support to see all 4G of RAM.

I've been running a custom kernel with PAE and 4G of RAM for several months now and have not had a single stability problem.

Paul Weaver
July 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Since you have 4GB of RAM, why not use a 64 bit Ubuntu to fully utilize your system capabilities?

Is Flash available for 64bit linux yet? Or Java?

I've noticed PAE options in the kernel before, which seemed to allow > 4GB of total memory space on 32bit?

As for Vista, it probably is a problem with Vista and nothing to do with you having 4GB of RAM.

Vista isn't that bad, especially out of the box. Could be dodgy memory -- Vista will use more than Ubuntu initially. You'd need to talk to Microsoft support (I assume as you pay for vista you get a support contract) with the numbers on the blue screen -- I understand it's the equivalent of a kernel panic.

You could run memtest86 overnight too.

tamoneya
July 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Actually, a 32-bit OS can recognize up to a total of 4GB combined memory. This includes your actual RAM and graphics memory, (as well as swap??). So, on my machine with 4GB ram and a 256MB graphics card, free -m tells me:

where 3545 is my total available RAM, which was 4GB minus kernel, root access, swap, and graphics memory.

the 32 bit limit does not include swap although like you said it does include graphics memory. Swap is just a harddrive partition.

sdennie
July 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM

the 32 bit limit does not include swap although like you said it does include graphics memory. Swap is just a harddrive partition.

As tamoneya said, you aren't seeing 4G of RAM. As a comparison, here is the output of my XPS m1330 (similarly configured to your XPS m1530) with PAE enabled:

$ free -m
Mem: 4049 3890 159 0 217 2179
-/+ buffers/cache: 1493 2556
Swap: 4000 0 4000
$ uname -a
Linux zorba 2.6.24.7-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 22 17:18:06 MDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

With the default 32bit kernels, my reported RAM is closer to yours (about 3.5G).

pofigster
July 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Theoretically a 32-bit system can recognize up to exactly 4 Gigs of RAM (2^32 = 4 gigs).

sdennie
July 8th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Theoretically a 32-bit system can recognize up to exactly 4 Gigs of RAM (2^32 = 4 gigs).

Yes but in practice, that is never the case. The reason is that various devices on your computer need large chunks of the memory address space to work properly and so the system maps them into the higest parts of memory. When that happens on a machine with 4G of RAM and a 32 bit kernel without PAE, it limits the amount addressable physical RAM.

bodhi.zazen
July 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM
dont worry. Thats just vista being vista. The only problem with running 32 bit on a 4GB+ RAM system is that you are wasting money. No kernel panics or BSODs.

A 32 bit OS won't recognize more than 3Gb of ram. I'm not a booster of Vista but the behavior you have described isn't normal so while it's under warranty (hopefully) you might want to let the computer maker know you are having a problem-if this is a hardware issue you want them to fix or replace the laptop.
Out of curiousity what make and model laptop is this?

Because of the memory addressing of the graphics card and CPU.

Where do you people get your information ?

For 32-bit systems the Server Edition is configured to use PAE which allows addressing up to 64GB of memory while the Desktop Edition is configured for 4GB.http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/features/kernel

muteXe
July 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
it's a dell xps M1330.
i'm not as concerned with the fact i may not be using my full 4Gb of RAM, just if it's stable in a 32 bit environment.

Thanks for all your replies by the way :)

mute

Inxsible
July 8th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Is Flash available for 64bit linux yet? Or Java?

I've noticed PAE options in the kernel before, which seemed to allow > 4GB of total memory space on 32bit?Flash and java are just as easy to install on a 64 bit machine as they are on 32 bit machines.

k3lt01
July 9th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hello,
My new laptop is a ubuntu-vista dual boot. I've only had less than 2 weeks.Who made the machine dual-boot? You, someone else, or did it come from the factory like it?

Now when i boot into vista, it bluescreens after being on for about 10 minutes. I have been posting on vista forums but they dont seem to be technically "with it" as linux people.
Thankfully when i boot into linux i dont get any crashing or anything like that. My question is: should I be prepared for an eventual major crash when I boot into linux because it may have problems coping with 4Gb of RAM on my 32 bit machine? (like crappy vista seems to be).

Thanks in advance,

muteIf you dual-boot any OS you are going to have to clean up the OS that was installed natively. So say for example you have Vista on a 200GB HDD, you make it dual boot Vista and Ubuntu, there are going to be parts of Vista that have been moved. This can, and from my experience will, cause some problems even if they are just minor until the Vista install is checked out. Do a Scan Disk, Defrag, etc. and see how it goes. You may have to use System Recovery if that doesn't work to get Vista back on track.

Xerp
July 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
it's a dell xps M1330.
i'm not as concerned with the fact i may not be using my full 4Gb of RAM, just if it's stable in a 32 bit environment.

Thanks for all your replies by the way :)

mute

The RAM will not cause instability.

phidia
July 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM
nevermind

bodhi.zazen
July 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
nevermind

LOL, I saw that ninja edit :lolflag:

You can either install the server or openvz kernel on your desktop install or compile your own kernel.

:popcorn:

descendency
July 9th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Where do you people get your information ?

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

sdennie
July 9th, 2008, 04:52 AM

I only read the first paragraph or two before concluding that Dan is wrong.

bodhi.zazen
July 9th, 2008, 05:03 AM

Shh ... Don't tell dan ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430827.aspx

128 MB of RAM minimum required; 256 MB or more recommended; 64 GB maximum for x86-based computers

http://kerneltrap.org/node/2450

<clip> ... PAE addresses the 4 GB physical memory limitation ... </clip>

Now I do not know about you, but I find technet.microsoft and kerneltrap to be very reliable sources of information.

:popcorn:

bodhi.zazen
July 9th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I only read the first paragraph or two before concluding that Dan is wrong.

LOL, you only need to read the title:

Last modified 01-Apr-2008.

sdennie
July 9th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Just to prevent bodhi.zazen from getting the last post, I will post the output from the 32bit PAE enabled machine I'm currently on:

sdennie@zorba:~$ uname -a
Linux zorba 2.6.24.7-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 22 17:18:06 MDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
sdennie@zorba:~$ grep X86_32 /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_X86_32=y
sdennie@zorba:~$ grep CONFIG_HIGHMEM /boot/config-`uname -r`
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
sdennie@zorba:~$ file /lib/libc-2.7.so
/lib/libc-2.7.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
sdennie@zorba:~$ free -m
Mem: 4049 3889 160 0 311 2606
-/+ buffers/cache: 970 3078

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Just to prevent bodhi.zazen from getting the last post, I will post the output from the 32bit PAE enabled machine I'm currently on:

sdennie@zorba:~$ uname -a
sdennie@zorba:~$ grep X86_32 /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_X86_32=y
sdennie@zorba:~$ grep CONFIG_HIGHMEM /boot/config-`uname -r`
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
sdennie@zorba:~$ file /lib/libc-2.7.so
/lib/libc-2.7.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
sdennie@zorba:~$ free -m
Mem: 4049 3889 160 0 311 2606
-/+ buffers/cache: 970 3078

Now... to go about enabling PAE (CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G), would I have to recompile the kernel? Or could I just set it in this configuration file? (/boot/config-2.6.24-19-generic)?

meindian523
July 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
As an aside,my motherboard supports a max of 2GB of RAM,and I already have one 512MB module in the 1st slot.Suppose I bought a 2GB module and plugged it into the second slot,would Linux still see the entire 2.5GB of RAM and use it,or would it be limited by motherboard capabilities?

muteXe
July 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Who made the machine dual-boot? You, someone else, or did it come from the factory like it?

If you dual-boot any OS you are going to have to clean up the OS that was installed natively. So say for example you have Vista on a 200GB HDD, you make it dual boot Vista and Ubuntu, there are going to be parts of Vista that have been moved. This can, and from my experience will, cause some problems even if they are just minor until the Vista install is checked out. Do a Scan Disk, Defrag, etc. and see how it goes. You may have to use System Recovery if that doesn't work to get Vista back on track.

I made it dual-boot. I shall try these things you've suggested. Thank you. I was also thinking that it didn't blue-screen at all until i installed SP1 on vista. I might try uninstalling this as well. Failing that I will get rid of vista altogether I think.

Thanks again,

mute

p.s. these forums are good.

muteXe
July 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
How do you enable PAE support on a 32bit machine to show the 4Gb in a desktop distro of Ubuntu?
Thanks again,

mute

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
How do you enable PAE support on a 32bit machine to show the 4Gb in a desktop distro of Ubuntu?
Thanks again,

mute

Check this: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21
And just replace the kernel version(s) with your output of

uname -r

EDIT: I forgot mentioning including PAE... check here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373#5

What you might want to do is update your kernel at the same time. If you are doing that (I am right now), check kernel.org for maybe 2.6.25-10. I am compiling this one with PAE.

muteXe
July 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Looks horribly complicated for a n00b like myself.
I think i'll be happy with it only using 3Gb :)

sdennie
July 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Now... to go about enabling PAE (CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G), would I have to recompile the kernel? Or could I just set it in this configuration file? (/boot/config-2.6.24-19-generic)?

You would have to recompile the kernel or, as bodhi.zazen said, install and use the -server kernel. That should be as simple as:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-server linux-headers-server linux-restricted-modules-server

After that, when you restart you'll have the option to use the server kernel in grub. Depending on how you use your machine, you may not notice any difference between the -server and -generic kernels (except that the -server will show up to about 64G of RAM).

damis648
July 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
You would have to recompile the kernel or, as bodhi.zazen said, install and use the -server kernel. That should be as simple as:

sudo apt-get install linux-image-server linux-headers-server linux-restricted-modules-server

After that, when you restart you'll have the option to use the server kernel in grub. Depending on how you use your machine, you may not notice any difference between the -server and -generic kernels (except that the -server will show up to about 64G of RAM).

Thank you... T discovered this. I attempted to recompile the kernel... I had a kernel panic in the middle so I just won't bother with it. Thanks anyway!

bodhi.zazen
July 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thank you... T discovered this. I attempted to recompile the kernel... I had a kernel panic in the middle so I just won't bother with it. Thanks anyway!

FYI: Installing the server kernel via synaptic or apt-get is both easy and safe ;)