PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] omg soo many problems

adamant715
July 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Whenever I open the Symantic Package Manager it says somethings broken and I should use a tool to find it, big question is WHAT TOOL?

I also cant put a file in its folder, it says restricted.. This OS is way overrated..

ptn107
July 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
you need to provide more verbose information

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Whenever I open the Symantic Package Manager it says somethings broken and I should use a tool to find it, big question is WHAT TOOL?

I also cant put a file in its folder, it says restricted.. This OS is way overrated..

Hi and fix broken packages in under edit in synaptic manager. You can also update from the terminal
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and post any errors

bumanie
July 8th, 2008, 08:04 PM
If you provide some more specific information it would help. As for the OS, it is probably different from what you have used before, thus you need patience to learn how it works. It does not suit everyone, but the majority who try it and persevere a bit, find it has many advantages over some other better known, expensive ,proprietary OSes. By the way, welcome to the forum and we hope you stick with it a bit longer. Remember it is different, not necessarily harder.

adamant715
July 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thank you SOO much, solved all my problems..lol And I just got it yesterday, Iḿ just really confused and not used to this type of...stuff

bumanie
July 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thank you SOO much, solved all my problems..lol And I just got it yesterday, Iḿ just really confused and not used to this type of...stuff

That is why this forum is here and is well regarded - members like to help each other whenever possible. Post back agian if you have problems and someone will help. Sometimes it takes a while as everyone does this voluntarily, but you will get help. Stick with things a bit longer, it gets easier, especially if you do a bit of reading - even dropping in and reading forum posts is a great source of knowledge.

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Its ok, just take is slow and search the forums as its a good chance that the question has a answer provided. please mark the thread as solved and good luck! :KS

Car60n
July 8th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I understand it might confusing but what i think is like most people you are a victim of cli-phobia(fear of cli)
get rid of it..

arpanaut
July 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
get rid of it..

Which?

the phobia... good idea

the CLI... NOT likely!

Car60n
July 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
i mean th phobia...
can't live without cli..

adamant715
July 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i mean th phobia...
can't live without cli..I don't quite get it.

lazyart
July 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
cli = command line interface
also known as the terminal.

At it's heart, linux is a command line system. A gui (graphical user interface) is placed on top of it to make it easier to use. Most often you can use the gui to get things done. Often though, it's difficult or impossible to do things without resorting to the terminal.

It's your friend-- a very powerful and efficient one. In most cases it's quicker to just type a command then to find it in the menus.

Take your time. Linux is new to you and you are new to it. There is a learning curve. There is also a learning curve to Windows, but it's been so long that many people don't remember.