PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer Setup w/ Airport Extreme

JohnTheMacGeek
July 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm having trouble setting up my printer on my Ubuntu machines. It works flawlessly on my Macs. Here's the setup:

I have a HP Deskjet 5550 plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme base station via USB. I see that Ubuntu does support the printer but I can't figure out how to set it up.

I'm also having difficulty getting connected via wifi.

stchman
July 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm having trouble setting up my printer on my Ubuntu machines. It works flawlessly on my Macs. Here's the setup:

I have a HP Deskjet 5550 plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme base station via USB. I see that Ubuntu does support the printer but I can't figure out how to set it up.

You need to get the IP address the print server has assigned to the printer. Let say for example the printer has an IP address of:

Go to your web browser and type:

localhost:631

This will bring up the CUPS manager.

Add the printer and use the the following for a connection.

socket://192.168.1.210:9100

JohnTheMacGeek
July 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The Airport utility on my Mac (OS-X) doesn't allow me to see the IP address of the printer. How can I obtain it?

phidia
July 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
The IP address should be shown in Printer Setup Utility in OS X.

JohnTheMacGeek
July 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
The IP address should be shown in Printer Setup Utility in OS X.I don't see it anywhere in the printer setup utility or the airport utility.

stchman
July 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
The Airport utility on my Mac (OS-X) doesn't allow me to see the IP address of the printer. How can I obtain it?

You will probably need to log into the router itself. As to how you do that on an Airport I do not know. I am sure there is a section on the print server.

flapane
February 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
did you manage to print?