PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] No desktop/termanal/anything after update

Samanathon
July 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hi all, I'm relatively new to Linux and I'm sure that I'll be using the wrong names for things, but here I go:

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 this morning and everything went smooth, the system prompted me to update (228 updates) and I did, then I was told to restart. Now, after I enter in my user name and password, all I can see is my desktop picture - no menus, mouse or anything else!

I tried ALT+F2, but nothing happens. The only commands that seem to work are CTRL+F(1-7) but I don't know any commands to enter into these terminals!

Please help! I really want to use Ubuntu....

Inxsible
July 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Restart the computer and this time select "recovery mode"

See if you can get in there. It will just show you a prompt (No GUI)...but atleast we can fix things from there.

Samanathon
July 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I was able to get into recovery mode and I tried "Repair broken packages" and "Try to fix x server" without success.

I did try:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-desktop

and that fixed it, apparently, I uninstalled something that I shouldn't have...

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Inxsible
July 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I was able to get into recovery mode and I tried "Repair broken packages" and "Try to fix x server" without success.

I did try:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-desktopand that fixed it, apparently, I uninstalled something that I shouldn't have...

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
Glad you got it working. :)