PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen streched on widescreen monitor

saratchandra
July 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Just installed ubuntu on my friends computer with a samsung 17" widescreen monitor and the screen seems to be stretched a lot. I've changed the monitor settings correctly, but its still stretched. Screen resolution is 1280x720. Thats the optimum resolution for that monitor.

sydbat
July 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Looks right to me. Nice actually.

saratchandra
July 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
He says the icons and right click are stretched. I'm not sure either. I've never used a widescreen monitor before.

oldsoundguy
July 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
You need to go into the System and re-set the monitor and check the video display properties (may require an unsupported driver)(you need to have the card specifications and type). That resolution is for a standard aspect ratio monitor. The resolution should be (at a minimum) 1280 x 1024
My HP cinema is 1600 x 1024. That was achieved by installing the NVida card using Envy (a third party install program) and then MANUALLY selecting and installing the monitor.

saratchandra
July 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
You need to go into the System and re-set the monitor and check the video display properties (may require an unsupported driver)(you need to have the card specifications and type). That resolution is for a standard aspect ratio monitor. The resolution should be (at a minimum) 1280 x 1024
My HP cinema is 1600 x 1024. That was achieved by installing the NVida card using Envy (a third party install program) and then MANUALLY selecting and installing the monitor.

I already installed nvidia drivers. The manual for the monitor says 1280 x 720 is the maximum possible resolution.

saratchandra
July 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Should I install the driver from envy or enable restricted driver?

sydbat
July 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
If it is a limitation of the monitor itself, I don't think there is an option that won't break the monitor (which would be bad and cost $$$).

oldsoundguy
July 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
first, you need to learn about aspect ratio:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDSpecs.htm

1280x720 is not a resolution for a wide aspect ratio monitor.

Get the MANUAL (Google is your friend) and do not rely on what "system" tells you are the figures. As noted, you may have to MANUALLY install the monitor as right now you are using an SVGA setting for standard aspect ratio LCD monitors.

saratchandra
July 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
first, you need to learn about aspect ratio:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDSpecs.htm

1280x720 is not a resolution for a wide aspect ratio monitor.

Get the MANUAL (Google is your friend) and do not rely on what "system" tells you are the figures. As noted, you may have to MANUALLY install the monitor as right now you are using an SVGA setting for standard aspect ratio LCD monitors.

Actually, I just read the manual of the monitor in the installation CD and it says 1280 x 720 is the maximum possible. I can change it to 1280 x 800, but the desktop is bigger than the screen.

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Actually, I just read the manual of the monitor in the installation CD and it says 1280 x 720 is the maximum possible. I can change it to 1280 x 800, but the desktop is bigger than the screen.

Hi and have you install the nvidia settings from synaptic manager? Then you can use the command
gksu nvidia-settings and make some adjustments there.

saratchandra
July 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi and have you install the nvidia settings from synaptic manager? Then you can use the command
gksu nvidia-settings and make some adjustments there.

Yes, I installed nvidia-settings, but it says the monitor is a crt monitor while it is an lcd in reality.

overdrank
July 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, I installed nvidia-settings, but it says the monitor is a crt monitor while it is an lcd in reality.

Well now that you mention it mine is shown as a CRT and it is a 19 LCD. :)

saratchandra
July 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but I think he's just trying to find something wrong with this wonderful OS. I convinced him by installing the clock screenlet and showing that it is a perfect circle and not an ellipse. He loves ubuntu now. On a side note, I'm thinking about buying a widescreen monitor too, its really cool.