PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to share files between work and home (win and ubuntu)

RavUn
July 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I would like to be able to access files at home from work. I imagine I can use OpenVPN and Samba to do this... or some sort of simple SSH tunnel. Is there a step-by-step tutorial for this?

I do not know much about my work network so I don't know if I'd need to know that stuff first. I'd like to know what I'd need to install at home on my ubuntu desktop and at work on my windows desktop and the configurations I'd need to make.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to networking so a very easy to follow tutorial would be great. I've tried searching these forums but most posts are over my head or do not go into much detail. I know how to configure samba, I just don't know how to setup the VPN connection (or "SSH tunnel" ?). All I want to do is be able to share files.

jonabyte
July 8th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I am assuming work is Windows and home is Linux.
I use logmein.com installed at work (win) and I can access my desktop from home using a web browser.
It is free, but the pro version allows you to transfer files between computers.
Also, you may want to check with IT or management to see if they will allow this to be installed on their network.

superprash2003
July 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
installing openssh and stuff requires you to open ports on your network.. and forward traffic from a certain port to your work pc..Normally they dont allow you to do this at work places due to security reasons, although you could ask them..n