PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shortcut to Desktop

leo_unbut
July 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I think this issue has been asked several times, but I am unable to find a solution in the Forum.

1)
I wanna create a Desktop-link similar to Windows. The Gnome Desktop allows me to create a new Desktop-link. This is fine as long as the new application does not require data from the folder it is located. So, creating a link to the Desktop does not really help, cause the app is executed in the Desktop-dir.

I think KDE you could specify in which folder the app is executed. Is there as well a way to specify this in Gnome?

2) In Windows I see the associated icon for my app. The Gnome does only display some default icons. Changing is possible in a limited way. But I cannot retrieve them from the file. Is there a way to do is as well in Gnome?

LeO

oliviacond
July 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
2) right click at the app's icon, select Properties, and click the icon, u should be able to choose icon from file.

leo_unbut
July 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
this proposal I have seen as well, but thought there is something like in Windows where you could extract the icon out of the file (e.g. extract the icon you see in the taskbar). In the way you have described, this has to be done somehow manually - and I have no idea how.

I just found, that in /usr/share/app-install/icons/ the icons are located for most of the installed apps. ==> at least this part is solved

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Right click any empty area of either panel and click on Add to Panel.

I think you want Show Desktop.