PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] toshiba external hard drive

jonathan21
July 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
can anyone help me I recently brought a toshiba external hard drive.it seems to to come passworded and I can only mount on windows xp is there anyway to open it in ubuntu.

Polygon
July 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I dont think the drive came passworded, if its an external drive (usb/firewire) it should mount automatically.

If you still cant access it for whatever reason, try looking at the manual for something you need to do first?

and if at a last resort, you could always format the drive to whatever filesystem you want and start using it

bumanie
July 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Highly unlikely for a hard drive to be passworded from the manufacturer. Have you formatted it yet? Most new drives need formatting before they will work as they are in a 'raw' state.

jonathan21
July 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM
nope it definitly comes with a password its is 12345 then your ment to change it.what happens is in win xp a pop up comes enter password you enter it then you cann view whats on it

jonathan21
July 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
moden number for toshiba hard drive is PX1265E-1G16

sydbat
July 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I would suggest it is not "new" if there is a password. Perhaps someone else owned it, brought it back because they didn't like it, and the store didn't format it. Something similar happened here (in Canada) that made the news...

jonathan21
July 8th, 2008, 03:10 PM
it is new just comes with encrytion software read manual and found how to remove password