PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] trouble getting windblows boot back

pcrussell50
July 8th, 2008, 01:19 AM
hi, i've been booting between windows on one drive and ubuntu on another drive using grub at startup to decide between the two.

yesterday, i installed xubuntu as well, and used it's partitioner to make a small partition for it out of my windows drive...only now, when i boot, the grub doesn't offer windows as a choice anymore, just ubuntu or xubuntu.

as a precaution, i mounted my windows partition while in ubuntu and copied off all my important stuff to an external drive, in case i have to reinstall windows. which i'm really hoping not to have to do.

any ideas as to how i can get windows to show up in grub again, so i can boot back to it?

-peter

Rocket2DMn
July 8th, 2008, 01:24 AM
You can try reinstalling GRUB with the Super GRUB Disk - http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
That should detect the windows install. It should also have repair options.

Alternatively, you can manually add the entry to GRUB's menu.lst file.

tagra123
July 8th, 2008, 01:30 AM
if you know which drive andpartition that windows is in you can edit

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

then find the end automagic line

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

add something like the following after that line

title Microsoft Windows
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

NOTE:
hd0,0 = ide1 (master) partition 1
hd1,0 = ide2 (slave) partition 2

Ptero-4
July 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM
You need to add the windows entry (somethin like this) to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file in the *buntu that holds it's grub in the MBR.

title "Windoze"
root (hdX,Y)
chainloader +1
makeactive
quiet

And then type (on the same *buntu)

sudo update-grub to update the boot menu.

pcrussell50
July 8th, 2008, 05:21 AM
You can try reinstalling GRUB with the Super GRUB Disk - http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
That should detect the windows install. It should also have repair options.

Alternatively, you can manually add the entry to GRUB's menu.lst file.

I fiddled around with this and voila! I fixed the problem. It's also a great learning tool...i feel like i have a tiger by the tail, as i'm barely hanging on to what it has to teach me, but that's alright. i like it.

-peter