PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Help with Printer Installation

uzzo2
July 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM
hello all, just purchased a new hp officejet j4540 running ubuntu 8.04. i downloaded the automatic installer to my desktop but am having trouble with the second step. here is the command the instructions say to put in the terminal and i'm getting an error.

phillip@phillip-desktop:~$ sh hplip-2.8.6.run
sh: Can't open hplip-2.8.6.run
phillip@phillip-desktop:~$

can someone help me please? thanks in advance

hansdown
July 8th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi uzzo2. I don't have Your printer, but I just bought an hp photosmart c4210 all-in-one. Before I hooked it up. I installed python-qt3 and hplip by using the synaptic package manager. Everything worked flawlessly!

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2008, 12:51 AM
"downloaded the automatic installer"

Huh? From where? never heard of such a thing in Ubuntu.

If you're trying to install drivers from a CD forget it!

Most HP printer (and even print/scan combos) are supported from synaptic.

I'll look.

uzzo2
July 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM
"downloaded the automatic installer"

Huh? From where? never heard of such a thing in Ubuntu.

If you're trying to install drivers from a CD forget it!

Most HP printer (and even print/scan combos) are supported from synaptic.

I'll look.
from here,
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/install/index.html

uzzo2
July 8th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hi uzzo2. I don't have Your printer, but I just bought an hp photosmart c4210 all-in-one. Before I hooked it up. I installed python-qt3 and hplip by using the synaptic package manager. Everything worked flawlessly!
ok, did the python qt-3 installation, hplip was already checked but it's not showing up under printers in admin>printing

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2008, 01:05 AM
from here,
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/install/index.html

That's a very, very bad idea!

Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and search for and install

hplip
hpijs
hpoj
hpoj-xojpanel

Some may already be installed by default, just ignore that or select to reinstall.

I'd give that a 90% chance of working.

kansasnoob
July 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Oh since you installed that deb package you should probably run a simple

sudo apt-get update

to see if you have any problems with repos.

uzzo2
July 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM
That's a very, very bad idea!

Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and search for and install

Some may already be installed by default, just ignore that or select to reinstall.

I'd give that a 90% chance of working.
ok, i guess i fall into the 10% range, go figure. i had the printer working by just unplugging the usb cord and then plugged it back in. that got the printer going but no scanner. i then applied the changes you gave in your previous post and then did the update and now the printer isn't working again.

uzzo2
July 8th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Update: got the printer going by unplugging then replugging the usb cable, but the xsane image scanner still isn't working.

uzzo2
July 8th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Update: got the printer going by unplugging then replugging the usb cable, but the xsane image scanner still isn't working.
ok, cancel that... just reopened xsane and it scanned, i just love it when things fix themselves, thanks a lot guys.

hansdown
July 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Hi uzzo2. When I started up my printer, all that was necessary was to have all connections done and simply turn on the printers power button. Everything started straight up with hp's pop-up windows asking to do a test page.