PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No permission to change Xorg.conf

Sprollest
July 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hey all, I'm having some trouble with my display driver. I'm currently running in safe graphics mode (due to install problems), and have tried on numerous occasions to download the Nvidia driver. It installs, and on restart either freezes up, or displays the log on screen sound but displays nothing except the cursor.

I have heard a fix for this, by editing the Xorg.conf file and adding the line: Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP". I've tried the method of using the Alt+Shift+F2 screen (sorry I'm noob to this! :P) and using the commands:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
sudo nvidia-xconfig
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and then adding the line Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP" in the "Screen" section.

Essentially I do this, but upon trying to exit (where it asks me to save) it says I do not have permission (meaning I can't make the changes). I have also tried editing the actual file in the GUI in the word editor, but that again says I don't have permission. Anyone know a solution to this? I want to try and see if this fix works - sorry if this is long winded explanation, just wanted to explain everything!

billgoldberg
July 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM
do this instead

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
sudo nvidia-xconfig
gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

bodhi.zazen
July 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Just use nvidia settings :)

gksu nvidia-settings

Sprollest
July 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Well, if I try

gksu nvidia-settings

It just says Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

I just need to know how to get permission to edit the Xorg.conf really.

A few noob questions, how do I copy and paste bits of code into the Alt+Shift+F2 screen? I'm manually tabbing between the screen modes and typing atm, and its a bit annoying.

And another thing, as I said, I am currently running Ubuntu in safe graphics mode - as the Vessa drivers seem to cause problems too. What is the command to enable / disable this? As whenever I try to activate the Nvidia drivers, on restart it will not display the screen at all - and I dont know how to fix it back to safe graphics mode so I can try something else. As atm I just do an ENTIRE resinstall if the graphics go wrong.

eriqjaffe
July 8th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I just need to know how to get permission to edit the Xorg.conf really.You have to be sudo to edit that..

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

...should do the trick. If you're in one of the virtual terminals (CTRL-ALT-F2, etc), that's why you get those errors trying to run nvidia-settings - it's a GUI program which can't run without X.

BTW, it's a good idea to back up xorg.conf (or any system file, really) first before editing it:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup

ChameleonDave
July 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Well, if I try

gksu nvidia-settings

It just says Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

gksu and nvidia-settings are graphical applications. They work when you are logged onto your desktop, not from the TTY terminal.

I just need to know how to get permission to edit the Xorg.conf really.

You were just missing a "sudo" to give you superuser permissions.

A few noob questions, how do I copy and paste bits of code into the Alt+Shift+F2 screen? I'm manually tabbing between the screen modes and typing atm, and its a bit annoying.

You can't.

bodhi.zazen
July 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Is your user in the admin group ?

If so, edit /etc/sudoers with :

sudo visudo

Add this to the end of the "Defaults" line

env_keep+=DISPLAY

The list is comma delineated.

ChameleonDave
July 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Is your user in the admin group ?

If so, edit /etc/sudoers with :

sudo visudo

Yes, if you look at his post, you'll see that he successfully used sudo twice. He then forgot to use sudo when he open up nano.

Moreoever, I'm not sure it's wise to get a newbie to open vi. It is a counter-intuitive editor.