PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IE for Linux

anewguy
July 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
This may be the wrong place to post this - if so, please move to the correct area and accept my apology!

I recently installed the Internet Explorer for Linux, and I found I can run shockwave in it. However, there are refreshes of the screen that drive me nuts and trying to do the daily jigsaw is nearly impossible as it is SO slow.

So, does anyone with a faster CPU have any problem like this? I'm running a PIII-500 and 512mb of memory over a cable connection. I'm probably out of luck, but I would really like to get that daily jigsaw going! :)

billgoldberg
July 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
This may be the wrong place to post this - if so, please move to the correct area and accept my apology!

I recently installed the Internet Explorer for Linux, and I found I can run shockwave in it. However, there are refreshes of the screen that drive me nuts and trying to do the daily jigsaw is nearly impossible as it is SO slow.

So, does anyone with a faster CPU have any problem like this? I'm running a PIII-500 and 512mb of memory over a cable connection. I'm probably out of luck, but I would really like to get that daily jigsaw going! :)

Well, does installing Firefox in wine and using shockwave on that work?

bhadotia
July 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
When I installed IE4Linux once, every page I visited behaved like that . So ,I never really installed it again:)

Pythagoream
July 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
You should be able to just install the plugins in Firefox. I just can't understand why anyone would want to use IE...

steveneddy
July 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't use IEs4Linux to surf, or running IE in wine would I surf with it.

It should be a tool that you use to see how a page renders in IE as opposed to FF or Opera.

It is no safer to surf with IE installed on a Linux or Mac machine than it is on a Windows machine. All of the vulnerabilities are still there.

Personally I will use FF and Opera.

My .02

neurostu
July 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
If you really want to use IE in linux, get Crossover linux, you can install the full version of MS IExplorer and run it natively in linux.

I'm not sure how much wine supports IE but I know that crossover does.

anewguy
July 8th, 2008, 03:27 AM
You should be able to just install the plugins in Firefox. I just can't understand why anyone would want to use IE...

Try running straight Linux (not in Wine) Firefox, go to shockwave.com and try to play the daily jigsaw. You'll learn it's not that simple.

As for Firefox in Wine, I use a USB Belkin wireless adapter and have never gotten it to work in Wine. Any suggestions?

anewguy
July 8th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't use IEs4Linux to surf, or running IE in wine would I surf with it.

It should be a tool that you use to see how a page renders in IE as opposed to FF or Opera.

It is no safer to surf with IE installed on a Linux or Mac machine than it is on a Windows machine. All of the vulnerabilities are still there.

Personally I will use FF and Opera.

My .02

And people say there is NO need for anti-virus in Linux. :)

anewguy
July 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Well, does installing Firefox in wine and using shockwave on that work?

Apparently not - I finally have my internet connection in Wine, so I downloaded and installed the Windows version of Firefox. I then went to Shockwave and downloaded the player, exited Firefox (the one for Windows) and installed the player. Opened Firefox (the one for Windows), went to Firefox and then to Daily Jigsaw. That said it needed the next plug in. Clicking to download/install that plug in just hung at first, then caused Firefox in Wine to shutdown. Does it everytime I go there.

Any suggestions on getting that plug in so I can install it? :)

gacb
December 27th, 2010, 02:12 AM

If you happen to be designing websites, you need to know how it looks in multiple browsers.

I use VirtualBox to run IE natively.

overdrank
December 27th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Back to sleep thread. Thread closed. :)