PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rebooting Machine

wharvey51
July 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Why do I have to reboot my computer three to four times before Ubuntu starts? I have to do this every time I shut my system down. Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

billgoldberg
July 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Why do I have to reboot my computer three to four times before Ubuntu starts? I have to do this every time I shut my system down. Any assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Could be a bad install, or an install of a bad cd.

Could be some other stuff as well.

You'll need to be more specific.

zagabog
July 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The first thing that is needed to fix this is a clear description of what you see when it fails.

Do you get as far as seeing the Grub boot loader?
Does it get as far as the login dialogue?

Give as detailed description as possible so that someone can advise

wharvey51
July 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
The first thing that is needed to fix this is a clear description of what you see when it fails.

Do you get as far as seeing the Grub boot loader?
Does it get as far as the login dialogue?

Give as detailed description as possible so that someone can advise
The only thing I get is a blank screen untill I reboot at least three to four times then I get the login prompt. After I go throught the login process and password it runs like a champ. I am very new to Ubuntu Linux and I have always used windows GUI. So, even the posting of this is new to me.

I love this GUI if I can get past the three to four blank screens. When it finally gets to the login and password it runs like a cadillac.

Shazaam
July 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Where does it stop in this order.....
Push start button..bios screen..boot loader (press esc to see choices)..scrolling bar.. user/password promt?

wharvey51
July 7th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Where does it stop in this order.....
Push start button..bios screen..boot loader (press esc to see choices)..scrolling bar.. user/password promt?
I just shut the machine down and I rebooted and it went right into Linux Ubuntu. I downloaded some updates a few minutes ago so maybe one of these resolved the problem. I will let you know. Thank you for you rapid response.