PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rhythmbox keeps taking over, want to use gtkpod

ConMan318
July 7th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I have had Ubuntu for a while, but haven't synced my iPod since I started using Ubuntu. I tried Rhythmbox, and there's nothing really wrong with it (besides that it is extremely slow at copying a CD to the library), but I would like to try out gtkpod.

In System > Preferences > Preferred Applications, I have set the multimedia option to use a custom command, "gtkpod", since only Rhythmbox and Totem Movie Player are available in the menu.

But when I put in a CD, it insists on opening with Rhythmbox. If I right-click the CD's icon on the desktop, the only 'open with' options are Rhythmbox and Audio CD Extractor.

I've tried looking through the menus in the gtkpod app, but can't find anything that will allow me to manually locate and view the CD contents. Fortunately, gktpod does see my iPod and I can see the songs already on it.

In summary, I need to be able to view the contents of a CD in gtkpod, and to import the CD. Any help?

Thank you.

LowSky
July 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

I dont see anything about ripping CD's on their Website, Have you tried other programs like banshee, or amorok?

clive littlewood
July 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Hi

I would remove Rythmbox Applications > Add/Remove

and install Amarok.

This will give you all the CD facilities you want and also easy sync to your ipod with transfers both ways.

Hope this helps

Clive l

isaacj87
July 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hi

I would remove Rythmbox Applications > Add/Remove

and install Amarok.

This will give you all the CD facilities you want and also easy sync to your ipod with transfers both ways.

Hope this helps

Clive l

+1 Agreed. Minus installing Amarok (yuck).

I consider this a bug. The best option is to just remove rhythmbox.