View Full Version : [ubuntu] help me what to do...

July 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I had Ubuntu 7.10 installed on my seperate hard disk and i was trying to download & install libssl 0.98 for some reason. But it gave a "dependency etc.." error and i was suggested to install it from "synaptic package manager". So i did it by checking the mark near libssl 0.98 and pressing "apply". But i guess it didnt work. So i assumed that this synaptic thing was nothing else but just a downloader like flashget in windows (horrifying part is coming..) and thought that it would be nice to check the libssl tag, delete it and re-download. Then i did it but the process was taking too long. It was saying "removed: lib..something.. , removed: ssl..something.." and it just hit me when i saw "removed: rhythmbox" that it was removing simply everything on linux... I hit log out button panicked and saw many error messages. I hit reset switch on pc and tried to boot linux but GUI was gone...

So.. what can i do now? can anyone help??..

July 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Once done,
sudo invoke-rc.d gdm restart && exit

July 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
boot into recovery mode (you will see the option in GRUB) and once you are there, type:

apt-get update
after it is finished, type:

apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

this should restore your gnome desktop. reboot. good luck!

July 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM

July 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
i tried apt-get update and install but it gave many errors saying "failed to fetch http://...." i have my live cd near me. Is there a way to install it from there?

July 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM

July 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM
if you have problems with internet connection, try synaptic and enable the cd as repository:
edit>add cdrom

then reinstall ubuntu-desktop

July 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
by "enable the cd as repository" do you mean that i should boot from my live cd? I dont think i have internet connection problem, it can download some of the files when i say "apt-get install" or "apt-get update" but for most of the files it says "failed to fetch". And what exactly should i do after "add cdrom". Can you tell me all the steps?

July 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
reminder: when i boot linux, i dont get anything with graphics. Just a full screen command line. So i cant try synaptic or anything else.

Please tell me a way to reinstall ubuntu from my live cd again (preferably using the command line).

July 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
when you get to the command line you can edit your sources directly

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

this opens a terminal text editor. now make sure the lines near the top which start with

deb cdrom: .....etc

are uncommented, i.e. do NOT have a # in front of them. edit as needed then press Ctrl+X, Y, Enter to save and exit.

then put the ubuntu install cd in and run

sudo apt-get update
followed by

July 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I opened the list. There was not "#" in front of "deb cdrom..." line (the first line). The two lines below were commented but they were saying: "see http://... for help.. etc.." I deleted all "#" signs in front of lines with "deb". But when i tried apt-get update again, still it looked for the web site and gave "failed to fetch" error. I dont think editing that list will make linux stop looking for the files from the internet and make it install from live cd.

The thing i dont understand: i have a live cd in drive, i can use linux with command line, there MUST be a way to reinstall it from there. Please tell me the way..

July 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM
i suppose you could comment out all the lines that start "deb http://" leaving only the cd-rom ones, then try updating and installing ubuntu-desktop again from there?

July 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
i already commented out all the lines with a "deb... (web link)". I dont understand what you mean by "cd-rom ones" There are no cd lines except the first line of the list. Another thing i noticed, there is the same sentence at the end of all deb lines: "main restricted". Is that normal?

July 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
ok, in that case, stick the cd in the drive and run the following

sudo apt-cdrom add

this will look for package info on the disc and once complete you could do

sudo apt-get update

July 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Nope.. didnt work. I did apt-cdrom add, it all went good, then i wrote apt-get update and install all over and again "failed to fetch http://..." and "packages not authenticated.. etc.." error came.

Why does it try to retrieve the files from the net in the first place? I have the cd, isnt there a way to tell the program to look first into hard drives, then the net if necessary.

July 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Another thing; i assume the code "apt-cdrom add" should have changed the sources.list file. But there is nothing different in the list. Or is it wrong the way i think?

Is there any other way to tell apt-get install to look for files from the cd-rom drive instead of internet? Please answer yes or no. If the answer is no, then i have to wait till the moment i can (or have to) format the hard disk (maybe next year) or maybe say farewell to this distribution.

July 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM

July 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I commented all the lines except the first line in source.list. Tried to install again and here is my error:
E: package ubuntu-desktop has no installation candidate

what is the problem now? Help me please just tell me what you know.

July 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM

July 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Finally formatted the partition and installed the OS all over. I guess the files were corrupted in the hard disk when i hit the reset button while they were being deleted. No one could help that.