PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating symblink so that contents of folders are linked

ben22
July 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I want the contents of folder A to be displayed in folder B with the help of a symbolic link.

So what I entered into terminal

ln -s /home/user/A /home/user/B

It is working half - instead of having the contents of folder A inside of folder be, folder B now contains the folder A.

What command do I need to have contents for folder A to be linked into folder B?

thx,
Ben

jerome1232
July 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
the target directory can't exist

ie

mkdir backup-test
ln -s ~/backup ~/backup-test

produced what you have, a directory containing a symbolic link to backup

so you need to do

ln -s /home/user/A /home/user/folder-that-doesn't-exist

bumanie
July 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm no expert on symlinks, but you need to firstly copy /home/user/A to /home/user/B then do the symlink. Also if you do ln -sv the link will be shown in standard out.

ben22
July 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
the target directory can't exist

ie

mkdir backup-test
ln -s ~/backup ~/backup-test

produced what you have, a directory containing a symbolic link to backup

so you need to do

ln -s /home/user/A /home/user/folder-that-doesn't-exist

Hm... I need the symlink for linking content from root/B to a subdomain. When creating the subdomain B.domain.com - a folder root/B is created first.

So - is there a workaround for creating the folder first and then linking the contents into the folder?

Thx!

Cypher
July 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'm no expert on symlinks, but you need to firstly copy /home/user/A to /home/user/B then do the symlink. Also if you do ln -sv the link will be shown in standard out.

Sorry no, the entire idea of using symlinks is to get around the fact that you want to have 2 directories pointing to the same content. Copying from one directory to another defeats the purpose entirely..

@OP: So if /home/user/A is the directory with contains all files you want to access as /home/user/B, you'd do

Doing a "ls -l" in /home/user will yield

A
B -> A

Now if you do

ls -l /home/user/A/
ls -l /home/user/B/

You will get the exact same contents listing. Notice that you HAVE to add the trailing slash to B to get it to show the contents, ignoring the slash will not show you the contents.

bumanie
July 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Look at above post.
cp /home/user/A /home/user/B then use the symlink command
ln -sv /home/user/B /home/user/A You may have to do this with sudo in front of the commands. I think what is above will work, but as said, I'm not very experienced with symlinks.

jerome1232
July 7th, 2008, 09:04 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but the OP's problem is the symlink is getting placed inside of a directory because the link name actually exists as a directory. at least that's what it appears to me.

ie he's creating symlink "/b" that links to the directory "/a", but becuase "/b" exists, the symbolic link is being place inside the directory "/b"

ben22
July 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry no, the entire idea of using symlinks is to get around the fact that you want to have 2 directories pointing to the same content. Copying from one directory to another defeats the purpose entirely..

@OP: So if /home/user/A is the directory with contains all files you want to access as /home/user/B, you'd do

Doing a "ls -l" in /home/user will yield

A
B -> A

Now if you do

ls -l /home/user/A/
ls -l /home/user/B/

You will get the exact same contents listing. Notice that you HAVE to add the trailing slash to B to get it to show the contents, ignoring the slash will not show you the contents.

@Qipher

my problem is that with
folder B contains folder A not the content of folder A.

So if I open B in "Places" it shows A.

Am I on the completely wrong track here???

Cypher
July 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
@Qipher

my problem is that with
folder B contains folder A not the content of folder A.

So if I open B in "Places" it shows A.

Am I on the completely wrong track here???
Since you want both A and B to essentially have the same "contents", ensure that B doesn't already exist. If it does, the "symlink" command will create a link to A inside B instead of making B a link itself.

So if I have on A and I do

ln -s A B

When I list the directories I get

A
B -> A

If I already have a directory C and I do

ln -s A C

The directory listing is now

A
B -> A
C

When I list C I get

A -> A

The symlink inside C is, of course, useless as it's pointing to itself and will do nothing of value..

Hope that makes sense..

ben22
July 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Since you want both A and B to essentially have the same "contents", ensure that B doesn't already exist. If it does, the "symlink" command will create a link to A inside B instead of making B a link itself.

So if I have on A and I do

ln -s A B

When I list the directories I get

A
B -> A

If I already have a directory C and I do

ln -s A C

The directory listing is now

A
B -> A
C

When I list C I get

A -> A

The symlink inside C is, of course, useless as it's pointing to itself and will do nothing of value..

Hope that makes sense..

@Qipher - thanks a lot, u are really helping.

However, my problem is exactly that B exists.

I need the symlink for linking content from root/B to a subdomain. When creating the subdomain B.domain.com - a folder root/B is created first.

So - is there a workaround for creating the folder first and then linking the contents into the folder?

Cypher
July 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
OK, so if you have two folders, A and B and all the files in A should be symlinked into B, you cannot just create a top-level symlink as we've found out.

The "workaround" might me to create a symlink for all the top-level files & directories from A into B..

So something like the following Shell script might do the work

for file in `ls A`; do ln -s ../A/$file B; done

This will create a symlink in B for every file and directory.