PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VirtualMachine

JohnnyWhite2007
July 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about wiping my whole computer and putting ubuntu on it as the primary system. I have a vista disk that came with the computer and a product key in case I ever needed to do a system restore. If I use VirtualMachine to use vista, does using this disk to make the virutal machine make me go against microsoft? Another words would microsoft get mad and sue or something. It's a legal copy and all so it should be fine right?

NetworkGuy
July 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
It may not work since the Restore CD may look to see if it is being installed on the right type/model of machine before actually starting. Probably the best thing to do is to install the Windows flavor of the Virtual machine engine you are going to use (VMware, Virtualbox, etc) and start a install. You should find out fairly quickly into the install if it will work.

Will Microsoft get mad at you? They have bigger fish to fry. Just remember that your install key will stop working after so many install attempts. You will have to buy a new copy of Vista at that point (unless Microsoft changed their minds by then)

JohnnyWhite2007
July 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
It's a upgrade anytime CD. I installed it once and it worked just fine, but I restricted web access to it.