PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox closes on sites with multimedia or streaming or ?

aBitLater
July 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm using hardy and Firefox 3. When I go to www.cnbc.com or www.nbc.com, firefox abrubtly closes.

Does anyone have an idea why, or how I can investigate the problem?

I'm assuming it's a plugin problem, but don't know where to start figuring it out.

Many thanks,
Brian

EDIT: I installed the adobe flash player 10 beta 2 and this seems to help. Still, I'm unsure if version 9 will cause conflicts - I removed it per instructions from adobe, but firefox about:plugins shows both plugins. It shows version 10 as the first item in the list, then at the bottom it shows version 9 as enabled also

__________________________________________________ ______________
Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0.0 d525

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
------------------------------------------------------------------
... <snip> ...

__________________________________________________ ________________
Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
-------------------------------------------------------------------

gandaran
July 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
EDIT: I installed the adobe flash player 10 beta 2 and this seems to help. Still, I'm unsure if version 9 will cause conflicts - I removed it per instructions from adobe, but firefox about:plugins shows both plugins. It shows version 10 as the first item in the list, then at the bottom it shows version 9 as enabled also

__________________________________________________ ______________

how did you install flash 9? from the repository's? if correct then just open synaptic, find the flashplugin-nonfree package, check- mark for complete removal and click the apply button.
if you did the install the same way as flash 10, you'll have to find the plugin and delete it.

aBitLater
July 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
will 'complete' removal remove all the dependency files? If so, what about other programs that may need those dependent files?

gandaran
July 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
will 'complete' removal remove all the dependency files? If so, what about other programs that may need those dependent files?

flashplugin-nonfree doesn't have any dependencies, complete removal just removes the package completely, it's not a complete removal if you just choose removal, it'll uninstall the package in use but it will still be on the system.