PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Recommended non ati/nvidia graphics card.

guruofquality
July 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Are there any decent graphics cards out there that do not use ati or nvidia. You know, $50 range. I have had terrible experience with linux + ati. I assume nvidia has just as much nonsense.

Is there a nice intel based GPU? I hear intel has good linux support. I just want to do things like use ubuntu and fullscreen videos. Something that will still work from upgrade to upgrade.

Crossing my fingers...

un_dave
July 7th, 2008, 08:24 AM
While a stand alone Intel would indeed be ideal, to the best of my knowledge, no such card exists, with Intel presently only doing on-board graphics hardware. If possible, I'd recommend spending a little more, and getting a motherboard with a built in intel GPU.

Otherwise, while I use nvidia, I would recommend a low-budget ATI card, as ATI seem to have better support for open source drivers than Nvidia.

Dixon Bainbridge
July 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
While a stand alone Intel would indeed be ideal, to the best of my knowledge, no such card exists, with Intel presently only doing on-board graphics hardware. If possible, I'd recommend spending a little more, and getting a motherboard with a built in intel GPU.

Otherwise, while I use nvidia, I would recommend a low-budget ATI card, as ATI seem to have better support for open source drivers than Nvidia.

Weird. My experience is the opposite. Nvidia runs great with linux.

un_dave
July 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Weird. My experience is the opposite. Nvidia runs great with linux.

I think I've confused the issue... I didn't mean my nvidia cards weren't working, just that I'm not happy with Nvidias closed source drivers policy, which as I delve more into the linux world, seem to be more and more a hindrance, and hence I'm not going to recommend that anyone buys them!

Sorry, I should have been a little more transparent with my advice there!

BOO NVIDIA !