PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] radeon 3650 agp wth nforce2

mjaz9992
July 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I just bought a radeon 3650 agp video card and am having some trouble. I have tried getting the restricted driver from the repositories but it boots into a black screen and I can't go an further. I then tried the ati proprietary driver 8.5 and 8.6. Originally I was using ubuntu studio 7.10 and had problems installing the drivers and found out it had issues with the real time kernel. I found the fix to get it installed and it did but when I try to watch a video with xv or use an opengl app the video gets corrupted and then the system locks hard (video anyway, I still see hard drive activity every once in a while.) I did a fresh install and still had the problem and then did a fresh install of plain ubuntu 8.04 and still had the problem. The drivers install ok and I can run fglrxinfo and see fglrx driver is being used. I have done some research and saw some compatibility problems with an nforce2 chipset and ati video cards but the guides I found were old and none of them matched ubuntu. I have an asus a7n8x-x motherboard. I am running a dual boot with windows and it works fine in it but would prefer to use ubuntu for various reasons. Please help!!!