PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Playing mp3 files in banshee-1

kidko
July 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I've downloaded the latest banshee-1 package from their repository, and as other thread suggested, I've also installed ubuntu-restricted-extras... however, when I try to play any mp3 file, it still doesn't work (and ends up with a red X next to it). Anybody find a solution?

I'm running it on Xubuntu 8.04

wolfen69
July 6th, 2008, 06:57 PM
open synaptic and search for fluendo mp3. if it is not installed, do it. if it is installed, try installing vlc. (you dont have to use vlc, but it will give you most codecs)

forger
July 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
What happens if you play it in totem or mplayer?
Is it just for some mp3 files? Some mp3 files are corrupted, they can be played in Windows, whereas the same files can't be played on Linux applications (lack of following standards?). You could try re-encoding the files with mp3/wma/ogg converter (http://www.freemp3wmaconverter.com/freemp3wmaconverter.html) (windows application)

kidko
July 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM
@wolfen69: Unfortunately, neither of those seemed to fix it. Am I missing something? Are the libraries in the wrong places, perhaps, because I'm not in GNOME?

@forger: They play fine in both, and everything worked in Amarok (which I'm trying switch over from). There's only one file that Banshee will play, and it's an MP3 that wouldn't always play in Amarok...

forger
July 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
you're not in gnome? xfce correct?

copy paste the following commands in a terminal:

First backup:

mkdir ~/BACKUP; mv ~/.config/banshee ~/BACKUP/

I don't know how you set it in xfce, but in ubuntu there's System > Administration > Software Sources application or with the following command in terminal:

gksudo software-properties-gtk
(let's hope it works)

The point is that you must make sure you have multiverse and universe repositories checked and enabled.

Then purge/install banshee:

sudo aptitude purge banshee
sudo aptitude --with-recommends install banshee

kidko
July 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I tried that, but with the specific version of Banshee I'm trying to install (1.0, in banshee-1), and it didn't fix the problem. I noticed that while the Hardy repos still contain v0.13, while the "intrepid" repository has 1.0, which is what I'm looking for. Is that the same as Banshee's own distribution server, or can I use that, since it seems to be under Ubuntu's servers?

If you want to see for yourself: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=banshee

forger
July 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
well.. if it's not in the official repos i can't help you :)
You can try install banshee and download the packages from packages.ubuntu.com but that could break other packages. Luckily, if something goes wrong, you can always purge the upgraded package and use the one from the repository.

you could also try this:
http://icehot.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/banshee-10-was-released-read-how-to-install-it-in-ubuntu-gutsy-and-hardy/

kidko
July 11th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Still no dice. Oh well, back to Amarok.