PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Mysterious Freeze-Ups Occur Seemingly At Random

tuebinger
July 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Lately my laptop (Daru2 model 1221) has been freezing up seemingly at random and it's a total system lock-up. I've tried Ctrl+alt+Esc, Ctrl+alt+F1, Ctrl+alt+Del -- none of these key combos work to get it to unfreeze. The trackpad is non-responsive. This seems only to happen when I'm using Firefox (I'm using 2.0.0.15), but I don't know if it's Firefox' fault or something else. It's occurring more and more (happened twice yesterday). All I'm left with is to push and hold down the power button for 5 seconds to restart the computer. Is this bad for my system to restart my laptop this way? Does anyone know what might be happening here, or what I can do to remedy the situation? Thanks!

Paulr-55
July 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My Ratel desktop exhibited these same symptoms (total lock-ups at random) and it turned out to be an overheating video card. S76 installed a fan on it under warranty. Don't know if this is helpful, but I too suspected Firefox for a while, but it was coincidental because I spend a lot of time in the browser.

Nkosi
July 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
My Gazv3 laptop has the same problem. I always have Firefox loaded up, too, hmm. When I run dmesg it says my ata1 is frozen. After about 5-10 seconds, though, it unfreezes itself. But yes, it seems to be a random whenever thing that began after my first major upgrade.

jdb
July 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Lately my laptop (Daru2 model 1221) has been freezing up seemingly at random and it's a total system lock-up. I've tried Ctrl+alt+Esc, Ctrl+alt+F1, Ctrl+alt+Del -- none of these key combos work to get it to unfreeze. The trackpad is non-responsive. This seems only to happen when I'm using Firefox (I'm using 2.0.0.15), but I don't know if it's Firefox' fault or something else. It's occurring more and more (happened twice yesterday). All I'm left with is to push and hold down the power button for 5 seconds to restart the computer. Is this bad for my system to restart my laptop this way? Does anyone know what might be happening here, or what I can do to remedy the situation? Thanks!

When Hardy first came out I installed the 64 bit version & had a lot of problems with firefox & flashplayer .
I then installed the 32 bit version the problems went away.
Just a thought, all the 64 bit problems may have been cleared up by now.

I don't think this is your problem, but I've noticed that when mlocate runs (daily in cron) it can really slow things down.

jdb

crichell
July 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
After you recover from a freeze can you use the system76 driver to create a log archive and attach it for us?

System > Administration > System76 Driver

Click the Support tab and click "Create" to create a log archive in your home folder.

Thanks

My Gazv3 laptop has the same problem. I always have Firefox loaded up, too, hmm. When I run dmesg it says my ata1 is frozen. After about 5-10 seconds, though, it unfreezes itself. But yes, it seems to be a random whenever thing that began after my first major upgrade.

This was a problem in Fiesty with ata_piix. What version of Ubuntu are you on?

tuebinger
July 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Will do. Next time it freezes up I'll post the results.

tuebinger
July 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
This latest freeze occured when I was away from the computer. Attached is the logs.tar report.

Nkosi
July 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm currently using Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon).
Of course I should have added this information, my bad -- my first time to do this.

I absolutely love Linux and what you guys are trying to do at Sys76.

thomasaaron
July 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Nkosi, your problem is related to a firmware problem in your CD drive. Please contact me at support(at)system76(dot)com for the fix.

thomasaaron
July 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Tuebinger,

Here is your problem...

Jul 7 16:05:11 stephen-laptop kernel: [ 4222.367329] npviewer.bin[7877]: segfault at 00000000f5c9c030 rip 00000000f7928550 rsp 00000000fff9a7ac error 4

This post is similar...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=647961

It looks to me like Flash is causing the problem.

We're not really seeing this issue at large, though. How did you install Flash on your computer?

tuebinger
July 9th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I first tried to install it using the method on the Adobe download page (http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux) but it wasn't working, Then you told me to try: sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=827658

Could my first attempt to manually download the flash plugin be causing the problem?

thomasaaron
July 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Could be.

We can try to delete anything remaining from the original adobe install and then re-installing flash.

Please post the output of...

ls .mozilla

Also, is there any relationship between having Gmail open and the freezing?

tuebinger
July 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Here is the output of ls .mozilla:

stephen@stephen-laptop:~$ ls .mozilla
extensions firefox
stephen@stephen-laptop:~$

I don't leave Gmail open -- I usually close it after checking my mail. I do leave my eBay page open to keep track of my listings.

thomasaaron
July 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
There's a pretty good chance this is the pulseaudio bug that causes problems with flash. It's also been reported as being problematic with gmail and other websites. Try this...

sudo apt-get remove libflashsupport

...and see if the freezing occurs.

tuebinger
July 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I tired sudo apt-get remove libflashsupport and apparently it isn't there. Here's the ouput:

stephen@stephen-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get remove libflashsupport
[sudo] password for stephen:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package libflashsupport

Must be something else?

thomasaaron
July 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Try installing it.

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

tuebinger
July 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM
It didn't install, either.

stephen@stephen-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install libflashsupport
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package libflashsupport

tuebinger
July 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Well, I've been using Opera for the last 5 days and haven't had a problem with a complete system lock-up during that time. I don't know if this has anything to do with the flash problem or not, because Opera uses flash too. Maybe it handles flash better?? I don't know. I'm just happy it's not freezing everyday now!

Nkosi
July 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
My Gazv3 Gutsy 32-bit laptop runs rock solid stable now and its speed has doubled, at least. Your firmware fix is good!

tuebinger
July 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I think I can safely mark this thread as solved, since I have since reinstalled 7.10 again and installed flash using:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

So far so good. No system freezes. Very stable, even with Firefox and GMail open. I think I was right about it being something to do with the way I tried to install flash originally. It's working, I believe, because I used the apt-get command, as you had originally suggested, instead of the method described on the Adobe website.

Now if I could only learn to stop messing with my system... ](*,)

darkknight045
July 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Now if I could only learn to stop messing with my system...

Come now, why would you be using Linux if you weren't going to mess with your system? :)

tuebinger
July 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Come now, why would you be using Linux if you weren't going to mess with your system? :)

Come to think of it, I do have this seemingly uncontrollable urge to to mess with the system!! It must be some strange Linux-user's affliction...

thomasaaron
July 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, it's called "fiddle-itis." I have it too. ](*,)

But then, I'm *paid* to have fiddle-itis. What's YOUR excuse? :lolflag:

tuebinger
July 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Yes, it's called "fiddle-itis." I have it too. ](*,)

But then, I'm *paid* to have fiddle-itis. What's YOUR excuse? :lolflag:

That must be it, I have "fiddle-itis." I have no excuse, though :( I think I'm a hopeless masochist when it comes to Linux...:biggrin:

steveneddy
July 30th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I grew tired of fiddling when I desired reliability and stability over the cool factor.

jdb
July 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I grew tired of fiddling when I desired reliability and stability over the cool factor.

I've got one bootable partition for reliability & stability and many for fiddle-itis.

It's a lot more fun to smoke a partition when you have another to boot to. :popcorn:

jdb

walkeraj
July 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I've got one bootable partition for reliability & stability and many for fiddle-itis.

It's a lot more fun to smoke a partition when you have another to boot to.

jdb

Of course, a lot of my knowledge has also come from the necessity of learning how to restore the installation I just borked to hell and back. Just recently, I did something stupid to a headless BSD box, and ended up with just a keyboard. Nothing like blind-typing regexes into vim with only beeps to guide you.

Oh and, in case you're wondering, I take no pride from that. :)